11. Love hurts

The clatter of heels echoed down the stairs

The clatter of heels echoed down the stairs. It had been a long time since she went down to that room that for years had helped her in her study of human anatomy. A small feeling of nostalgia made its way into Victoria's heart. There, in that cold and macabre room, she had spent most of her life.

The woman stopped and admired the man who stood before her, the man who for years has been her mentor and supporter.

"Did you want to talk to me Uncle?"

"Get an apron, gloves and a mask, Victoria"

The woman did not object and did as she was told. Once she has recovered the necessary she approaches her uncle, who discovered a corpse from the table. The woman's face remained impassive.

"Use the large bone saw to cut the cranium" Jonathan said.

Victoria started pushing with all her might, moving the serrated edge back and forth.

"Good. Now lift the top part of the skull up" Jonathan said, motioning toward the top half "Might offer some resistance at first, but it'll suction off with the right amount of pressure. Stick the scalpel in and pry it"

She did as she was instructed. The top of the skull pulled off with a slurping noise. An unpleasant scent lingered in the space around them, apparent even through her mask.

Jonathan handed her a tray and she set the upper portion of the skull on it.

"Now, you'll want to remove this little piece of the brain... here" the man used a scalpel to point out the specimen.

Victoria plucked the scalpel from his hands and brought it to the brain when Jonathan stopped her.

"Before continuing I want to tell you the real reason why you are here" he sighed.

"Did something happen, Uncle?" Victoria frowned.

"No" he shook his head "Victoria, I can recognize a person with talent and this is what I see every time I look at you. You're brilliant and beautiful and life has countless possibilities for you. That's why i put some nice words about you and i would like to send you to medical school so you can officially become a doctor"

"What?!" The woman exclaimed excitedly "Oh my-- thank you so much, Uncle John!"

"That's not all" the man said, but Victoria noticed that he was looking almost sorry.

"What?"

"The college is located in New York"

"Wait what?!"

.·.·.·.·.·.·.

It had been a few days since the chat with his uncle and at that moment Victoria was disinfecting her work tools when the office door swung open, scaring her.

"Bloody hell, Tom! One of these days you'll make me have a heart attack!" She exclaimed, putting her hand to her heart "You should learn to knock!"

"It's not a day for knocking" he said smiling.