Three

I ended up going to couples' night at Murphey's alone. It was glaringly obvious that I was a fifth wheel, and I spent most of my time playing referee between the countless arguments that arose between Kalani and Emi. I sat on Kalani's other side so I wouldn't stare longingly at Emmett all night, but he still distracted me. I could feel his presence, smell his citrus cologne, feel my stomach tighten every time he laughed. I was useless at trivia.

Sunday passes in a blur, and before I know it, I'm standing in the halls of school Monday morning. Oakwoods High is the largest and most up-to-date private school in the district. There are three floors with state-of-the-art science and tech labs, brand new sports equipment, and my favourite, a fully stocked art room. People get bussed in from out of town to attend school here, which means there are so many students that I'm almost finished grade twelve and still don't know everyone in my grade. I've never had a class with a lot of people so I don't recognize them in the hall, which sucks because so many students means I've only ever had two classes with Kalani, none of which are this year.

Kalani appears and leans against the locker beside mine. "So, I've been thinking," she says without a greeting.

"Don't hurt yourself," I joke, grabbing books from my locker.

"Ha ha," she says flatly, then straightens up. "I was thinking about how you're always such a fifth wheel. Like this weekend?"

My head snaps to look at her and my heart leaps into my throat. She told me it was cool if I came to couples night. Was it just a pity invite? Did they only want me there to play mediator between Emi and Kalani?

"It must not be fun for you to hang around couples all the time..." she continues.

"No, I don't mind!" I rush out before she can tell me I shouldn't hang out with them anymore.

"I know," she says, "but it would bother me if I was single and had to watch you and Emi hang around with your partners all the time."

For a moment, I'm stunned. Does Kalani get it? Was my mom right? Is it as simple as just suggesting a girls' night every once in a while? A wave of relief washes over me. I won't offend anyone by suggesting leaving Daphne and Emmett at home every once in a while, and I won't have to stare longingly at Emmett all the time anymore.

"So that's why I set you up on a blind date," she continues, her tone casual.

"Wait, what?" Apparently she and I are on different wavelengths.

She leans on the locker again and adjusts the ends of her uniform shirt. "Think about it. Prom is just over a month away and you have no date prospects. You can't fifth wheel us at prom. Actually, you'll be more like a ninth wheel, or an eleventh wheel. Either way, you can't just sit at the table and make us all worry about you not having anyone to talk to, because then we'll neglect our own dates and no one will have any fun."

I can't even process what she's saying. Blind dates? Prom? Ruining their fun? I didn't realize my being single was such a hindrance to my friends. "I don't think I need a prom date to have fun..." I start, but it comes out weak, especially compared to Kalani's determination.

"You wouldn't be so left out if you had a date for prom. And not some random guy you agree to at the last minute, because that will throw off the whole dynamic of the group if it's awkward. It has to be someone you actually have chemistry with, who will get along with everyone. So it needs to be someone you're actually dating and know will be a perfect fit."

Kalani often says things that are insensitive, so I shouldn't be as offended as I'm feeling, but I can't help it. "But I'm not dating anyone."

"I know," she rolls her eyes. "That's why I set you up on a blind date. Are you not listening?"