Five

Once a month, before Emi and Kalani found partners, the three of us would go bowling. Now, however, we always include Daphne and Emmett, or more accurately, they include me. I had actually messaged the girls group chat inviting them to check out Boscoe's pop up art exhibit with me tonight, but Kalani vetoed that in favor of bowling, then promptly invited Emmett and Daphne. I like having Daph and Em around, but it would've been nice to check out the limited time art exhibit with my friends.

The bowling alley is outdated and smells like popcorn, but the lanes are in good condition and the nachos are the best in town. We've got some privacy at our lane, but the alley's strangely crowded for a Monday night.

"So how bad was it, really?" Daphne asks me as Emmett throws a ball down the lane. He knocks down all the pins, which isn't surprising because he's good at everything.

"I told you guys, it was terrible, and I'm still mad at Kalani for paying him," I emphasize, sending her a glare as Emmett rejoins us at the table.

It was a disaster, and Jay couldn't be further from my type. Emmett would never ask about the color of my panties. He'd never tell me I'm stuck up or think I'm better than others. He doesn't thrive when I'm embarrassed or uncomfortable.

"And I told you," Kalani starts, her spiel already prepared, "that Emi and I both thought he was madly in love with you and just needed an excuse to go on a date with you, because he knows you don't like him. He never would've asked you out if we didn't give him a little push."

"But I," Emi interrupts, "didn't know you were going to pay him. Seriously, Kalani, use some common sense next time." She turns to me. "I'm sorry it sucked. But I honestly thought all that sexual tension would work out in your favor."

"It wasn't sexual tension," I mutter.

Again with that word. Sexual tension. I'm beginning to really hate it. When I called Kalani on the drive home, ranting about how she paid someone to date me—someone I hate, to be exact—she rationalized it by saying she could see the 'connection' we had, and how everyone could see the 'sexual tension' between us. I laughed at her and told her this little blind date agreement was done, then went home to seethe. I know she had the best intentions in heart, but I've faced enough humiliation to last a lifetime.

I haven't heard from Jay, not that I was holding my breath, but I also haven't been able to delete his phone number. I don't know why...maybe I want to save it in case I want someone to yell at? He says I don't know how to live a little? HA! Maybe I'm keeping his number to prank call him or sign him up for a bunch of annoying marketing phone calls. That'll show him! I can 'live a little' and he knows nothing.

"Technically, I didn't offer him any money, I offered his sister concert tickets," Kalani clarifies before adding in a mumble I almost don't catch, "Plus, he wasn't supposed to tell you about the tickets."

I shoot her a look, and she holds her hands up in innocence. "Okay, okay," she says. "But your date this Friday is going to be much better, I promise."

The nacho in my hand freezes midway to my mouth. "What?"

"How did you know he has a sister anyway, Kal?" Emi asks around a full mouth.

"Her soccer team practices on the field beside Maleah. I saw him there Saturday afternoon," Kalani explains, but I'm still stuck on what she said a few moments ago.

"Wait, let's go back to the whole 'you have a date Friday' thing. I didn't agree to any date."

"Yes, you did! Remember? At school before your first date, you said you'd go out with a couple guys until you found one you connected with. Prom's coming up, remember? Obviously it didn't work out with Jay, that was a miscalculation on my part, but Arthur is great and you guys will have fun together."