Eighteen (part 2)

Considering this is the first time I'm driving to the cliff by myself and the GPS can only take me so far, I do a pretty good job navigating there by myself. I pull onto the little dirt road where the tree branches whip at my car and emerge into the parking lot clearing, feeling triumphant when I spot Kalani's Audi. She's still here, and we're settling this today.

I park beside her and a clap of thunder rings as soon as I open my door. It's not raining here like it was at home, but the darkening sky tells me to leave all my stuff in the car and make this quick.

Laughter and music from the cliff urge me on as I march up the path, and I don't even stop to chat with some kids from Jay's school I've met before who pass me on their way to their cars. I am on a mission.

As soon as I pass the tree line I spot Kalani. It's not hard since there aren't many kids here today, and she's sitting directly in front of me with a beer bottle in her hand. She's with Ralph and his friend named Nico who I've met a few times, but Emmett and any of Jay's friends I bonded with yesterday are absent.

Taking a deep breath for courage and to remind myself that I'm telling people how I really feel, I step into sight. "Kalani!"

The three of them turn to me—Ralph even waves and calls out my name enthusiastically— but I'm focused on Kalani, who frowns as she lowers her beer bottle. "I don't remember inviting you. I thought I turned my phone off."

She's in a designer skirt and floral ruffled tank top, and both look a little askew—not a noticeable amount, but askew enough for Kalani's standards to know something is off.

"Are you drunk?" I ask.

"I can drink one or two beers without getting drunk, mom."

Despite the heavy condescension, she's not slurring or unsteady in her seat, so I let it go. "Then great, we need to talk."

"You really want to talk?" she asks, like I'm annoying her with my presence. This would normally be my out, where I'd say never mind and scamper away with my tail tucked between my legs to avoid the confrontation, but I'm not that girl anymore, and I'm not pushing my problems away in favor of avoiding hard conversations.

So I stand my ground, straighten my spine, and say, "Yes, we're going to talk about everything that's going on, Kalani, and we're going to do it now."

Like I'm an annoying child that's begging for her attention, Kalani huffs a sigh, chugs the last quarter of her beer, hands the empty bottle to Ralph, and stands. "Fine. You want to do this now? Then let's do it. Remember the first time we came here? You forgot your jacket. When I returned it I heard you talking to your mom. I know you're in love with Emmett."

I thought I'd dread this conversation, dread those words escaping Kalani's lips, but now all I feel is anger.

"That shouldn't be a surprise to you, Kalani! I talked about my crush on Emmett basically every single day since the day I met him in grade nine right up until you said, 'Oh, Emmett and I are dating now'."

Indignation crosses her face. "So what? You spent the last nine months trying to steal him from me?"

My jaw nearly drops to the ground. "When have I ever done anything to indicate I'm trying to steal him? Have I ever been anything but supportive of you or done anything to sabotage your relationship or try to break you up? No. Unlike you, who has literally been sabotaging my dates—that were your idea in the first place!—for goodness knows why."

Kalani grits her teeth, and instead of answering me, she crosses her arms and looks away. But I'm not going to let that slide. I didn't come all this way just to learn she thinks I'm trying to steal Emmett and leave it at that.