Eighteen (part 1)

Kalani didn't come to school today.

She's ignoring my texts, so I message Emmett, who says he hasn't heard from her at all today either. I even ask someone who I know shares second period with Kalani, and they confirm she isn't here today.

None of that deters me though. I said I was going to talk to her today, and that's what I'm going to do.

So after school, I drive directly to Kalani's house and ring the doorbell. No one answers. I ring again and even peek in through the window, but the house remains dark inside.

There are no cars in the driveway, but Kalani's could be in the garage.

Maybe no one really is home. I know her parents try to stay at work later to avoid talking to each other, especially since they're still living together during the divorce process. Ailani hasn't come home from California, and Maleah's school ends later than ours.

I sigh, sitting on the patio chair on Kalani's porch as it starts spitting rain. I wanted to do this with her while I was still determined and had the drive, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

I try calling her again for one last ditch effort, but it goes directly to voicemail like it has throughout the day every time I tried. Emmett's not going to answer since he's in an after school study group, and Emi is pissed at Kalani and hasn't spoken to her either, so she'd have less of an idea than I would about Kalani's whereabouts.

Is she not going to come to school at all until exams? Is she going to avoid me forever?

My phone vibrates in my hand and I look down to find a text from Jay.

'How'd school go today? Need me to beat anyone up?'

I laugh out loud. I'm not sure if he's joking or not, and I don't know if Jay's ever even been in a fight before, but it makes me feel better nonetheless.

I text back: 'No need, Emi's got that covered.'

His response comes quickly. She is kind of scary when she wants to be.

And I don't even think he's witnessed her yelling at anyone yet.

He sends another text before I reply: 'Did you talk to Kalani?'

I'm currently sitting on her porch in my school uniform watching the rain pelt her overgrown lawn, so that's a no.

I send him a quick summary about my day of trying and failing to find her, and how she's ignoring me, and he sends back: 'Check Ralph's Instagram story.'

Ralph's instagram story? I just poured my heart out telling him how I'm trying to reconcile with my best friend who's ignoring me, and he tells me to check Ralph's social media?

I don't think Jay would brush aside my feelings for no reason. Okay, scratch that. Maybe old Jay would've just to be annoying, but not now, not with whatever it is going on between us.

I open the app and click on Ralph's profile. His story shows him at the cliff. It doesn't look like it's raining there, but the background looks a little cloudy.

He must have skipped school— or at least last period— to get there already. I click through the stories, one which shows him in a hideous button up t-shirt with a recurring pattern of turkeys and Santa Claus for some reason, singing into a beer bottle to a song someone's blasting from a speaker. Other stories show him with other people, some of kids jumping, and some of him just generally fooling around.

I'm beginning to think this is pointless when I get to the last story. It's a video of him throwing his arm around Kalani, telling her to jump. She laughs and pushes him off, some of the beer in the bottle spilling from the action. "You know I can't swim, Ralph, and stop filming me!" she exclaims, and her hand lands on the camera before the video cuts out.

It was posted 15 minutes ago.

A renewed hope and sense of purpose ignites within me, and I sprint through the rain and dive into my car.

'Thanks Jay! Heading there now!' I text him, adjusting my backpack in the passenger seat before finding my recents in my navigation app on my phone and selecting the cliff.

'Want me to come with you? I can be ready in 5,' comes his response.

'Thanks Jay, but I think this is something I should do on my own. I'll text you when I get there,' I send back.

I'm sure Jay would be great company and emotional support for this, but Kalani and I need to do this on our own. I'm not backing down anymore, and even though I'd rather have teeth pulled than talk about it, it's way past time we discuss everything.

Including my crush on Emmett.

***

Short chapter, but the big confrontation we've been waiting for all book is next chapter, and it's going to be really long, so I wanted to keep it on it's own.

I hope you've been enjoying reading this story as much as I've enjoyed writing it! Please vote, comment, and share if you have been reading along! <3 

And don't forget, Best Vacation Ever, comes out June 20! You can pre-order it now, and keep your receipts because I'll be doing a pre-order incentive as a thank you!