Chapter 5 - Typhoon Turnpike

Two Months Later...

As I laid in an empty field on campus, I stretched out and yawned. I love the temperature this time of year, warm, but a cooler breeze flowing through to prevent me from getting too hot.

"Perfect for a nap." I muttered to myself as I closed my eyes and rested my head on my hands.

Besides some issues thinking about the whole situation with my ex, I've felt really good lately, like I can relax a tiny bit more than before. Like I'm finally starting to cope some, and I can't help but feel like it's because alongside my friends, I also have Rika now, who is always so bright and optimistic, and is always ready to go out and do something together. But still, I can't help but feel like most of the time it's her wanting to do something, and me accompanying her, like she's always in the lead.

"I really need to find a way to take the lead again." I muttered to myself. Maybe I should also fix my habit of talking to myself some.

As I finally started to doze off, I let out a small yawn when I heard a girl talk to me, stopping me from dozing off just like my thoughts had before.

"Looks like you still doze off outside like always."

I opened my eyes to see my ex smiling as she looked down on me. A little annoyed by her popping up right after I had stopped thinking about my issues, some of them directly because of her, I said "Well, considering how I was up until a couple months ago, I'm surprised too."

"Oh, and why is that?" she asked

"You know why, after all you're the one responsible." I said

"Oh, you mean that." Junko said "Well I'm sorry about that, but if our relationship really meant that much to you, I'd be willing to give it another chance."

"I'll pass on that." I said, my mood soured a bit after having to think about the pain that came from finding out, heading to her place to surprise her for the holidays, only to see her cheating on me.

"Alright, if that's what you want. But I hope we can still be friends." she said, holding her hand out to me

I took a hold of her hand, silently agreeing to at least give being friends a shot, but there's still a seed of uncertainty about her. However, before I could focus too much, I felt my pocket vibrate as I got a text

—---------------------------------------

Rika's Perspective

As I sat at the cafe on the school campus, I watched as Marika left. I'm seriously in the mood to sing today, but Marika has a modeling gig today. I thought about who could come with me or if I should just go alone, and when my mind got to Y/n, I could feel my smile grow. I don't think I've ever heard Y/n sing before, and I really love spending time with him. He's got this understated kindness, and I love how he talks about how he wants to become a pilot, not to mention he's really my type. I really have ended up loving him, and maybe if he's free to come do karaoke with me today, I should tell him how I feel.

I reached for my phone, and sent him a text, asking if he wanted to come do karaoke with me, and after a couple minutes, I got a response from him: I'd love to, just tell me where to meet up and I'll be there.

I could feel myself smile more as I thought about spending the day with Y/n, and sent him a text telling him to meet me by the school's front gate. After that, I finished my drink before I got up to meet up with Y/n and hang out with him. And depending on how things go, I may just tell him how I feel about him.

—--------------------------------------------

Y/n's Perspective

As Rika and I headed to do karaoke together, I could feel my mood balancing out again. The path my conversation with Junko went down brought out plenty of bad memories that had really messed up my mood, but like always, that positive vibe that Rika practically emanates helped me forget about it some.

As we got to our karaoke room, I looked around the room. I haven't really done much karaoke besides singing along to the occasional lyric video while alone, but I don't think my singing is too bad. Or at least I'm not completely tone deaf... crap.

"Alright, do you wanna go first or should I?" Rika asked

"I'm fine with going second." I said, "Besides, I love hearing you sing."

Rika smiled "Then I'll get this started!"

She set up a few songs on a tablet before handing it to me and heading towards the screen with the mic in her hand. As she started to sing her first song, I selected a couple for myself. I just went with some that I already knew really well since I really love them before I put it down to watch her sing. I picked this up the first time I saw her perform with Merm4id, but I really love watching her get passionate with what she's doing. She always seems to enjoy what she's doing, and I really love that about her.

Once her songs ended, she walked over and said "Alright Y/n, you're up next."

I nodded and took a deep breath as I headed up to get a closer look at the screen. Alright Y/n, take a deep breath and sing with your diaphragm. Luckily I started with one of my favorite songs, so it wasn't too hard to get into it, and being able to sing at full volume rather than quiet myself so I don't disturb the neighbors is pretty nice.

Once my songs were done, I let out a sigh and looked to Rika. "I hope I didn't sound too bad."

"You were pretty good Y/n, and you looked so cool and confident once you got into the zone!" Rika said "Hey, let's sing a duet."

"Um alright." I said, watching Rika select a song and walk up to beside me

Despite my worries about it being a song I didn't know, I actually recognized this one, and was able to keep up decently. It was really fun singing beside Rika, and I really loved being able to see Rika having such a good time so close.

—-----------------------------------------

When we were just about out of time, I let out a small and said "Hey, thanks for inviting me. This was a way more enjoyable way to spend the weekend than what I had been up to."

"No problem Y/n." Rika said smiling, she then started to blush a small bit as she said "I actually have one last thing to talk to you about real quick."
"Well, go for it." I said

Rika nodded and said "Y/n, I really love spending all this time with you, and I've really started to love you too, so I was wondering if maybe you wanted to maybe go out on a date or something some time."

Wait, is Rika confessing to me? Hearing that makes me so happy, but in the corner of my thoughts was this seed of worry in me that was telling me that if I entered a relationship with Rika, it'd end in heartbreak just like my last one. I know completely that Rika would never do the terrible thing Junko did to me, but I'm so scared that this relationship will lead to the same hollow pain as the last.

"Rika, I'm really happy to hear you say that, but I'm not really looking for a relationship, I'm sorry. But I really do love hanging out with you, so I hope we can still be friends." I said

"Yeah, no problem." Rika said

When our time finally ran out, we headed out, side by side, still talking and passing the time. But still, I have this frustration and disappointment in myself for letting my fears control me like this, but with how I am right now, all I can do is deal with the hollow pain.

Rika's Perspective

As I walk home alongside Y/n, I feel so disappointed that Y/n told me he wasn't looking for a relationship. But while he's never told me the specifics, he mentioned in the past that his last relationship was a painful break up for him, so it makes sense that it would take him a while to deal with it. But still, maybe when the scars start to fade, if I still keep this love for him, I can give confessing to him another shot.