Chapter 10 - Need Each Other

One Year Later

As Rika and I start walking back to her place after our latest date, as much as I’m enjoying myself, there’s a part of myself that’s been focused on another situation. Ryunosuke has proposed to his girlfriend and they’re planning to get a place together, meaning I need to find myself a new place. My family doesn’t live anywhere near here so it’s not like I can go stay with them, and my friends all don’t have the space for another roommate. The obvious solution is to just try and find a new roommate, but that’s currently my last option since I really don’t want to go through the struggle of sorting through any candidates to avoid problematic people.

As we got closer to her place, I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her close as I said “I really enjoyed myself today.”

“I did too Y/n, I’m looking forward to you joining up to celebrate after Merm4id’s next gig.” Rika said

“Er, actually it looks like I might need to head into my job that day so I don’t know if I’ll be there.” I said. I wanna build up my savings some so that after Ryunosuke moves out I have some cash to cover his part of rent until I find someone else.

“Really? That sucks.” Rika said “I was way hyped for you to party with us.”

“I’ll make it up to you somehow, I just gotta take care of some stuff first.” I said

“I’ll hold you to that, you know.” Rika said

“Please do.” I responded

As we got to her front door, after sharing our farewells and one last kiss, we headed our separate ways to get some rest.

—------------------------------------------

One Month Later…

As I sit in the living room of my apartment, now bare of any of my best friend’s stuff, I watch youtube videos about weird engineering creations as I await one of the potential roommates to arrive so I can see if I could actually live with this person without losing my mind.

After a while I heard a knock on the door, I figured it was a bit early but got up and headed over to open the door, wondering what my potential roommate could look like, only to find on the other side of the door was Rika.

“Huh? What are you doing here?” I asked

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were looking for a new roommate?” Rika asked

I shrugged and said “I just thought it wasn’t that big of a deal. But how exactly did you find out?”

“I ran into Ryonosuke after classes the other day and while we were talking he mentioned that you’ve been working harder since you needed to cover rent until you could find a new roommate.” Rika said “Why didn’t you tell me any of this?”

“Like I said, it’s not like it’s too huge of an issue. I don’t want to leave Tokyo and especially not you, so I’ve just been trying to deal with it without bothering you.” I said

Rika gave me a hug and said “There’s no way you’d bother me Y/n. And besides, if you’re looking for somebody to live with, why not choose your girlfriend?”

I started to smile at Rika’s offer and said “I mean living with my amazing girlfriend seems like a dream but I didn’t bother asking since I figured that with you living with your parents since you were happy with that.” Well, that and being scared to ask.

“I love my family, but I need to move out eventually, and who better to do that with than someone I love?” Rika asked

“If you say so then I’d love to live with you.” I said, taking a hold of her hands.

“Awesome! Here’s to plenty of good times living together.” Rika said

After I sent a message to the potential roommate that I actually found somebody, Rika and I spent the afternoon together, talking things through about moving her in and whether or not we should set her up with the other room or just share a bedroom.

As the afternoon finally gave way to the evening, and the evening gave way to the night, talking about a future together with Rika like this, closer than ever before, just made it feel like everything was alright, and with the hope and love Rika gives me, I know for sure once we move in together that I want to spoil her some.