Chapter 6 - Leave The Past Behind

As I worked my part time job at a cafe, I got told a customer's order from Rika and got to work on quickly putting it together. They just wanted a turkey sandwich with a side of fries, so it's not like it was anything difficult. After I put it together I handed it to Rika to deliver, but as our hands touched, I couldn't help but notice how soft Rika's hands seemed to be.

She headed off to deliver it, and I was left by myself, hoping I didn't act weird or anything like that. In the past two weeks since Rika confessed to me and I turned her down, I've tried to act normal around her, but I can't help but feel a little awkward around her. I mean I do like her, but after how my last relationship ended, I can't help but worry about something happening where I'll end up hurt or worse, I might end up hurting her. She's always such an amazing person with good vibes that are practically infectious, and I can't stand the idea of causing her harm. I know that it's just cowardice and I should just move past it so I can enjoy being beside her, but I can't help but feel like that's easier said than done.

I let out a sigh and tried to just focus on my work until my shift was over. Once it was, I let out a yawn and decided I may as well head home and just relax there this evening rather than joining Ryuunosuke in whatever it is that he's up to tonight. As I finished changing out of my work clothes, I noticed that Rika was waiting for me by the entrance.

"Hey Rika, what's up? I thought you got off fifteen minutes ago." I said

"I did, but I thought we could head off together." Rika said

I gave her a smile and said "Yeah alright, sounds good."

As we headed out beside each other, Rika asked "So Y/n, do you have any plans tonight?"

I shrugged "No, nothing in particular."

"Really? Then how about you come join me at a club tonight?" Rika said

"I would but tonight I'd like to just go home and call it an early night, sorry." I said

"Ah, no problem, we'll just have to do it some other time." Rika said

"Yeah, that sounds good." I said, smiling at her. Still, I feel kind of bad. I don't want her to feel like I'm avoiding her or something, but I just haven't had much energy recently.

As we walked, the two of us talked but it felt like it was just Rika leading the conversation like she always does all because I can't lead the conversation myself. As we kept moving, Rika's eyes lit up as she saw somebody ahead of us

"Ah! Hey Tsubaki!" Rika said, running up to a black haired figure ahead of us.

As the two of them started talking, I headed closer and said "I guess the two of you know each other then."

"Yeah, this is my friend Tsubaki. The two of us were friends all the way back in elementary school." Rika explained

"I see, then it's nice to meet you." I said to her

"Hey." Tsubaki said

"Tsubaki, this is the Y/n I've told you about before." Rika said

"Ah, so that's you. I've seen you around the campus before." Tsubaki said

"Hey, we were about to head back from the job we both do, how about you come join us until we get you where you need to go?" Rika suggested

"I guess I can. I am curious about some things after all." Tsubaki said

A while after Tsubaki headed off her own way, we eventually got to Rika's home, which she headed into after giving me a goodbye, meaning it was just me now. "Eh, it's nothing that uncommon." I muttered to myself as I turned back around to take a shortcut towards my apartment I found out about a while back. As I walked down the street, I let out a small groan as I noticed a certain somebody heading my way. Apparently I'm gonna run into way more people than the one I wanted to walk back with.

"Hey Junko." I said as I walked

"Hey Y/n, I was actually hoping to talk to you soon." she said, giving me a smile

"Oh yeah? Why's that?" I asked

"Well I was figuring that maybe we could give us another shot. You know, like be a couple again." she said

"Like I said last time, I'll pass, after how last time ended I don't want to give it another shot." I said

"Come on, if you really don't want to get back together with me, why did you reject Rika's confession?" she said

"H-how do you know about that?" I asked

"I was working with Dahlia when Rika told her what happened." she said "Now really, how about you forgive me and we can get back together."

"We can remain friends, but I'm not going to change my mind on this." I said

"Huh? Is that you Y/n? And who is this?"

I turned and saw Tsubaki heading my way, thank god I have a way out now. "Oh hey Tsubaki, I was just talking with my ex but we were about done if you needed to talk to me about something."

Tsubaki, picking up on what I was asking, said "Yeah, I actually needed to ask you about something."

"Alright, then I'll see you around Junko." I said

"Huh? Wait, you can't just leave like that." she said

"Come on, we can pick this up some other time, alright?" I said

After we walked a distance from Junko, Tsubaki asked "So what is it I heard about you rejecting Rika's confession?"

Owing her for getting me out of that mess, and figuring that since she's known Rika for so long she could give me some sort of advice, I filled her in on how Rika confessed a couple of weeks ago, and that I rejected her because of fears I've ended up stuck with.

"I see, can I hear a bit more about what caused those issues?" Tsubaki asked, pulling out her phone

"Alright, basically that girl back there was my highschool sweetheart, and we were together for a good four years before I found her cheating on me." I said "It was a pretty horrible time to find out too, but I'd prefer to not talk about that."

She looked at me and said "I can understand why that'd hurt you, but you need to move on. And I know that Rika would never be the kind of person to do something like that. I'm no expert on this stuff, but the first thing holding you back from getting past it is you still holding onto it."

"I get what you're saying, but you're making it sound easier than it is." I said

"I can imagine, but if you want to be with my friend, it seems like you need to give it a shot." Tsubaki said "Just, make sure you tell Rika about what happened."

I took a deep breath, I mean yeah I want to try to give something between the two of us a shot, but what if it ends up a source of pain for both of us? No. Tsubaki is right, I need to at least give it a shot, and I mean who says I can't try to heal as I go?

I nodded and said "Yeah alright, I'll give it a shot."

"I'll have to thank Hiiro for the advice later..." Tsubaki muttered, turning her phone off and putting it away

"I'm sorry to bother you with this stuff, but could I ask you one last question?" I said

Tsubaki gave me a nod and said "It's nothing, and go ahead. I can listen to a little more."

I took a deep breath and asked Tsubaki my question, a small idea of how I should talk to Rika about all this forming in my head.

-----------------------------------------------------

A/n: I mean this one isn't named after a TWRP song, but it's still a good song. But on a more serious note, I'll try to get the next chapter out earlier than this next week.