𝟎𝟏.

.       .       .

Under a wall of sample designs including hearts, barbed roses, tribal symbols, and all manner of typography, a tattoo artist looks over a folded piece of paper.

"Good thing you drew me a picture."

On the paper are two simple bold black lines, one slightly thicker than the other. Scott gives the man a nervous smile. By the counter, Stiles holds up a book of sample tattoos.

"Sure you don't want something like this?" He points to an image of a green-scaled lizard with yellow eyes. Scott throws him a glare as Maya laughs.

"Too soon?"

Putting the book down, he approaches the chair where Scott begins rolling up his sleeve.

"I don't know, dude. These things are pretty permanent."

"I'm not changing my mind."

Maya looks at Scotts' design, confused about why he picked it. "Hey, Scott... why two bands?"

"I just like it."

"Wouldn't it be better if your first tattoo had some kind of meaning?" Stiles questions as Maya looks around at the designs, and the colors. Spacing out, daydreaming of her life before she moved back to Beacon Hills.

"He's right. Tattooing's been going on for thousands of years. The Tahitian word tatua means "to mark something." Like a rite of passage."

"See? He gets it." "He's covered in tattoos. Literally."

"Can we get started?" Scott nods. The Tattoo Artist slides his chair over to begin.

"You don't have any problem with needles, do you?"

"Nope."

Machine buzzing to life, the Tattoo Artist lowers the needle while, behind them, Stiles promptly keels over.

The noise from the tattoo gun snaps Maya out of her daze. She turns around to Stiles shifting before falling over and hitting the ground.

"I'm just gonna let him lay there" Maya sighs. Suddenly Maya's phone vibrates, It was Derek telling her to come home.

"I have to go. Tell Stiles him falling was funny" and just like that Maya walks out of the tattoo parlor without a trace.

-next morning-

It was the morning of the first day back to school. The sun peaked through my curtains as I slowly slipped out of bed. I check my phone to see no messages from Isaac.

It was unusual, I would always wake up to at least 2 messages from him. The first one would be him saying good morning, even though his room is next door to mine and the second one would be him asking if I would marry him.