𝟏𝟕.

McCall Home

Melissa blinks in the morning sunlight, slowly waking up. About to pull the covers off, she pauses. Past the foot of the bed, Scott lies dead asleep in a chair while Isaac sits propped against the wall, chin against his chest, and laying beside her lies A'maya. All three of them were sound asleep.

"Oh, really."

"Boys? Maya, Honey. Hello?" Melissa called out. Not a single one of them stirs. "BOYS." She said louder. Snapping awake, Isaac and Scott lurch to their feet and ever so gracefully slowly sat herself up. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We were watching over you."

"We wanted to make sure you weren't the third sacrifice." Scott told her, "But the three of you were asleep."

"You were on watch last," Scott said turning to Isaac. "I thought you were on watch last.", Maya shakes her head, "Isaac... you were on watch last." His eyes widen, "I might have been on watch last." He said with a reluctant nod.

"My heroes. Didn't you say they're all doctors? I haven't had an M.D. recently added to the end of my name so I think I'm in the clear."

"It could just come under any kind of Healer, Mom. And you were definitely a Healer last night."

"Yeah, but I'm not going to be anyone's human sacrifice today. Now all of you, get your butts to school." She tosses the covers off, flipping Maya off the bed. The boys begin to snicker, peaking her head up from the side with squinted eyes. Daggering them at the boys. Their snickers and giggles stop. "Melissaaaa" Maya whined, "I don't wanna go..."

Melissa looked at Maya, shaking her head. "Go to school, honey." She said kissing her on the forehead. Maya smiled greatly, each corner of her smile almost reaching her ears. "Scott, Melissa is my mom now" she giggled.

Physics Class

Ms. Blake sets the physics book on the teacher's desk. While still her typically nervous self, there's something different about her. More attractive clothes. More attention to her hair. The look of someone newly concerned with looking her best.

"Good morning. As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing--I mean sick. Or essentially unable to attend class. Anyway, I'm filling in today while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take over. So, let's get started..." As she begins flipping pages in the book, Stiles leans over his desk to whisper to Scott.

"My Dad said the ER Attending wasn't strangled. But they're saying he did die of asphyxiation. They just don't know how." Stiles whispered to Scott.

"You think the On-Call doctor could still, be alive?"

"I don't know. But there's twenty other doctors at the hospital. Any one of them could be next."

Scott's phone buzzes. The name on the display: DEATON. Sliding down in his seat to be inconspicuous, Scott answers the phone. "Hey, I'm in the middle of class. Can I call you back?"

"Unfortunately, no... I honestly thought I might never have to burden you like this. But, at the moment, I'm afraid you're my only hope." Deaton paused, terrifyingly long. "I'm going to be taken." Maya turns around, facing the boys. She heard the conversation... tricky how vamp hearing works when in times like this.

Maya's heartbeat sped up times a hundred. Both Maya and Scott stare at each other a bit, Scott sits up in his seat as Deaton begins to speak again. "I need you to find me--"

"What's happening? Doc?" Scott asks, suddenly the line goes dead, and a dial tone blares back at Scott. Maya's eyes meet with Scotts, the fear in her eyes, the same fear he's seen many times before, and no matter how many times he sees them he never knows what she's feeling.

Animal Clinic

The door swings open, and Scott rushes inside the Clinic. He stops when Stilinski and Deputy Graeme turn around. "How did you know?" Scott questioned.

"Stiles called me right after you left school. And I'm sorry, but your boss's car is still here and the back door was wide open." Scott takes a step back and without even seeming to realize it, he sits down in one of the waiting room chairs. Almost like he's pushed down.

"Scott. I need you to tell me everything."

(Authors Note: Hey guys sorry I've been gone for so long, I lost all motivation to continue writing and editing but I'm slowly getting back into it so please be understanding)

(Also sorry this chapter is short I just have a lot planned for the next chapter)