20|Honey dipped lies

Alina
✿—————✿

“And make sure you cover up the rest of the chapter bef—” Mr Stan was saying before the sound of the bell ringing drowned his voice

More than what accounted for half of the class were no longer paying him any attention as they all slammed their super-big Biology textbooks shut and leapt off their lab stools, eager to walk out of this class and go chill someplace that was not school.

I chucked my pen into my backpack, along with my notes and highlighter, before ambling out with the rest of my classmates.

After two long periods of Biology, I was badly craving a long nap on the couch and pizza. I could already picture myself at home right this moment and my legs were aware that the faster they strode, the faster it would take me to get home and satisfy my food cravings.

I took a turn past the drinking fountain, the white fluorescent lights fitted into the ceilings bounced off the silver-coated lockers and white-walled halls, creating a blindingly bright atmosphere. The early morning smell of boy cologne and hairspray was gone. It reeked of sweat, and lots and lots of BO in here.

I scrunched my nose, matching through the sea of crushed-up bodies, on an honourable mission to my locker where I would get the books I wouldn’t need tonight out of my backpack. Carrying so many books wouldn’t do any good to my development, if anything; it’d make my growth stunted. And like everyone else, I didn’t want that.

Plus, I was not sure how I’d be getting a ride home today since Terry would’ve left for NYU already. I debated between calling dad to give me a ride back and joining the bus. Agreed, both ideas were terrible—people in school acted like you were weird if your parents picked you up after school, and the school bus always smelled like weed and dog piss after school hours (don’t ask me if I know how weed smells, cause I don’t). But it wasn’t like I had any other options besides these two.

I released a groan. If Alice was still here, I wouldn’t have to worry over a ride back home.

“What are you busy mumbling about?” someone sidled next to me, and I heard the click of a locker combination.

“Wondering how I’ll get home now,” I sighed, forking my fingers through my hair.

“Why do you have to worry about that when your boyfriend has the coolest ride in school?” Pablo stressed out the word boyfriend like he was questioning it. “Can’t you call him to wait for you, or do you not have his number?”

I smacked a palm against my forehead. Why didn’t I recall that I was supposed to be dating a jock that owned a super flashy race car, parked right outside?

I heard Pablo slam his locker shut, and I straightened my shoulders.

He tossed me a puzzled stare, ankles crossed, and a book pressed firmly against his thick black hoodie. “So? Did you call him or not?”