26| A really terrible thing

Alina
✿—————✿

Two things were trending on my socials the entire weekend; the photos Jake and I took on our date, and the post I released on Spill ‘em all.

I didn’t care much what Jake’s fans thought about his new girlfriend or rebound as some of them had called me—because we weren’t actually dating, but I cared a lot about the reactions to my blog post. Everyone at school had seen it by now, and Jamie, Kaylee and Ashley had called me to gossip about it yesterday afternoon.

According to Jamie, Addie’s boyfriend had broken up with her after seeing the video on the site. But Laurie was yet to react, and it was Laurie’s reaction we were all anticipating. As it was, I could barely contain my excitement to get to school. I needed to be there in person when the confrontation happened.

A car honked twice downstairs and I rushed over to my bedroom window. My eyes landed on a sleek black race car parked on our curb just as soon as I spotted Jake leaping out of the driver’s side.

With lightning speed, I slipped into a pair of black platforms, shrugged on my backpack and zapped out of my bedroom. I was certain Sue would try to make Jake join us for breakfast if he stayed a minute longer downstairs, and that was going to mess with my arrive-at-school-early-enough-to-watch-all-the-chaos-you’ve-caused-unfold plan.

I know that’s a really long name for a plan, but it’s all I’ve got for now. Maybe I’ll be able to think of something better on the ride to school.

“Look, Ally’s here!” Brynn chirped the second I reached the foot of the stairs.

I bit back on the urge to glare at her by directing my attention to Sue and Jake. “You’re here early Jake,” I muttered as my eyes savored his sexy hot-boy look. Who knew grey hoodies and sports sweatpants could look so good?

“I’m sorry. I could wait if you’re not ready to go yet?” he shrugged apologetically, eyes roaming over my body.

Just like I’d expected, Sue stood right next to him, wearing an apron and holding a ladle in her hands. Even with her hair wrapped in a messy bun and her sleep clothes on, she still looked effortlessly beautiful as she smiled at Jake like he was her knight in shining armour, and raised a brow at me.

“No, it’s fine.” I licked my lips and blew out a breath. For some reason, Jake still had his eyes on me. I held his gaze. “I was done about five minutes ago,” I lied.

“Good,” Jake muttered, finally peeling his eyes away from mine and turning to leave.

I blew out a relieved breath before following after him.

“Ally, honey, you haven’t had breakfast yet,” I heard Sue cry.

“Oh, it’s alright Sue!” I hollered when I neared the front doors, “I’ll get something at Dunkin’ Donuts on the ride to school.” I added, not caring whether she had heard me or not as I bounced down the porch steps. My number one priority was getting to school on time.

“Hey, Ally, is it okay if I ride with you and Jake?” Brynn asked, sticking her head through the passenger’s window.

“No,” I hissed and snapped in my seatbelt.

“But why?” she whined, stomping her feet on the asphalt.

“Cause you’ll make us go late.”

She flailed her hands above her head like the child she was. “No I won’t,” she said, puckering her lips.

Any minute now, she was going to roll on the ground and throw a tantrum like a five-year-old.

I wasn’t planning on staying long enough to witness that. “Jake, let’s go.” I pursed my lips into a thin line and narrowed my eyes, warning him to defy my order.