30|Scheming little sisters

Alina

✿—————

This week was breezing past so quickly that before I noticed, it was Thursday already. I was too focused on watching how Leni’s spill would affect Laurie; I didn’t have much space in my head to worry over other things. Plus, the Senior Royals were hatching the next phase of their ‘dethrone the Queen Bee’ plans. They seemed to think The Spiller was a great addition to all our lives and would be key in granting them what they wanted.

There was just one hitch in all of this: they wanted to find out who The Spiller was. Total bad news for me.

A zap of electricity shot through my spine when I slammed my locker shut and came nose to nose with Jamie. “What are you wearing for Halloween?” she asked, curling her hair in her fingers and acting like how she’d just appeared at my locker wasn’t strange.

I shrugged, digging my teeth through one side of my lip.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t picked an outfit yet?” she exclaimed. A few students walking by turned our way, watching us keenly. The way Jamie screamed, you'd think I just told her that Niagara Falls was a myth.

I sighed. “Halloween hasn’t really been exciting since I passed the trick-or-treating age.”

“What is that supposed to mean? Aren’t you coming to my party?” Jamie paused and stared at me like she was petrified right in front of the exit doors.

“I don’t know…” I muttered, pulling her away before the tired teen behind us started a riot. Not that they would dare because we were both Royals so people more or less put up with whatever selfish acts we displayed.

“Well, if you finally make up your mind and need help choosing the right costume...” Jamie sucked in the words as we walked down the front steps. "...call me." She patted my shoulders gingerly, winked and we parted ways.

Jake was already inside the car when I slipped in. “You’re early today,” I noted, clicking on my seatbelts.

He mumbled something under his breath and grinned at me as we swerved out of the school’s parking lot.

I shivered in my seat, travelling my hands up and down my arms to keep warm. The air con inside the car didn’t go well with the humid fall weather outside.

Eyes narrowed, Jake watched me. “Are you cold?”

I shook my head. “N-no. Don’t worry, I’m fine.”  The chatter of my teeth didn’t make my lies believable.

Jake rolled his eyes, turning off the air con and connecting his phone's Bluetooth to the speakers. “I don’t know why you enjoy displeasing yourself for other's sakes,” he commented, a hint of a smile on his lips.

Katy Perry’s Roar spilled out of the speakers and I glanced at him over my shoulder, beaming a ‘thank you’. He lifted his shoulders carefreely, blinking back a ‘you’re welcome’ before returning his attention to the road.

Lately, Jake has been extra attentive to me. He just played my favourite song, he knew how much I loved the hot chocolate donuts with extra rainbow sprinkles they sold at Dunkin’ Donuts so he got me one every morning, he always made excuses so we could leave whatever gathering we were at early because I hated staying out past 11 pm, and he no longer adds ketchup to his fries when he shares them with me.

I’d like to believe all of this new behaviour was just his jealous male version trying to get me to like him better than the other guy I was constantly with—Pablo—but something at the back of my mind tells me it isn’t.