Wattpad Original
There are 27 more free parts

Chapter 12: A Knight's Honor

Kenric grabbed his sword and left his chambers, being as stealthy as he could, and closing the door ever so slowly so as to not make a sound and wake the other man up.

Kenric then made his way down to the dungeon where the prisoners were held. He ordered a guard to open up Edgar's cell before entering the small room and closing the gate shut behind him. The anger that had cooled down in Archie's presence was back now, and Kenric could not remember the last time he felt rage like this. Rage that made him want to bathe in the blood of the bastard that dared to harm his beloved.

Violence was not anything new for Kenric. He had seen men he cared for get injured and die both on and off the battlefield. But nothing... Nothing in the whole goddamn world was enough to make him feel even a fraction of the terror that he did when he saw his stable boy with a blade pressed against his throat.

Just the thought that had Kenric been remotely late then he could have lost Archie forever...

No. Kenric would never let that happen.

"I wanted you to be executed in front of the whole town," Kenric began, "I wanted everyone to know what happens if you commit crimes as horrific as yours in my kingdom."

"I know my fate," Edgar muttered. His only attempt at escaping failed and he knew he would die two days from now, there was no running away now.

"How did you escape from your cell?" Kenric asked. Edgar laughed, looking at the prince as if he had cracked a joke.

"You are wasting your time, prince. What makes you think I will tell you anything?" Edgar spat.

"You will," Kenric raised his sword, aiming it at Edgar's chest, making the prisoner scoff. But Kenric smirked as he lowered the sword slowly, till it was pointing at Edgar's groin. "Unless you want to live your last few days in unimaginable pain."

"You...you wouldn't...you wouldn't be so cruel," the color from Edgar's face drained, making him look as pale as snow.

Kenric could only scoff in response. This was nothing compared to the torture that Edgar deserved, torture that Kenric would have happily carried out if he was not in a rush to return to the man that was currently asleep in his chambers.

"How many women have you raped and killed?" Kenric rose an eyebrow. "This would indeed be a very fitting punishment for you."

"It was...it was that blond guard. With the scar across his brow!" Edgar ratted out, the terror clear on his face.

Kenric immediately knew he was talking about Oswald, he was aware of every single guard in the castle.

"Why would he help you?" Kenric asked.

"He...he wanted me to kill his old lover. She left him for a richer man and he wanted me to murder them both," Edgar explained, "he said he would free me and pay me once the deed was done. He was a fool to believe me when I said I would do it. I was not going to, I swear. I was only going to run away!"

"That bastard," Kenric muttered as he shook his head in disappointment.

He felt repulsed that one of the men he had trusted with the safety of the kingdom would risk freeing a criminal as dangerous as Edgar just because he wanted revenge over his broken heart.

"Now leave me to live the last of my days in peace. I told you what you wanted to know," Edgar said as he took a step back in fear.

"Our business is not quite done," Kenric said. "You hurt someone today. Someone that means a great deal to me."