Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

Chapter 21: Beaten And Bruised

Chapter 21: Beaten and Bruised

Kenric was on guard. Even though there were plenty of knights since there were a lot of nobles staying at the castle and even more people going in and out due to the festival, he preferred to personally make sure that the castle was secure and he was hands-on with his job.

Imagine his confusion when he saw a boy that he vaguely remembered having seen before stumbling into the castle with his younger brother, who clearly looked intoxicated. He was even more puzzled by his attire, but it did not take him long to figure out what Frederic had been up to.

He remembered that Frederic always had a fascination with going out dressed as a commoner. He was never able to do so because of their father, unlike Kenric who would sneak out all the time and roam around town with Archie. Godric, too, was protective over him when he was younger and always kept a tight watch over him. But now that he was grown up and free from their father, he finally had enough power to do as he pleased.

Kenric sighed, before looking at Sir Christian and another knight. He tilted his head in his brother's direction, motioning for the knights to help the two men out. The skinny lad supporting Frederic looked like he would fall and pass out from the prince's weight at any moment.

Kenric would have been pissed, but he was rather amused as he thought about how angry Lady Mary was going to be upon seeing her husband in his current state. All he cared about was that Frederic reached back safe and sound, though he was curious as to how the little prince managed to sneak out. Kenric did not like anything happening in the castle without him knowing of it, so this both intrigued and worried him.

Nonetheless, he had done the same many times to be mad at his brother for it, that would be hypocritical of him. With that thought, he went back to his duty.

Kenric did not think twice about Frederic until the next day when he saw Archie with a bruise on his cheek and a black eye.

Suddenly it all made sense. What Frederic whispered to Archie when they met, why Archie had looked worried, and probably how Frederic was able to sneak out of the castle and where he got the clothes from. Kenric knew that Archie would not have agreed to it willingly. With how reserved he had become, there was no way in hell that he would have happily tagged along with Fred and gone with him to get drunk at some tavern.

Kenric knew his brother and was aware of how manipulative he could be.

It took everything in Kenric to not go to the stable boy and ask what happened, to ask who dared to lay their hands on him. But he knew he would not get any answers from Archie. Kenric was not dumb, he could connect the dots, so he went to confront his brother instead.

Frederic seemed embarrassed as he told Kenric what happened the night before. How he asked, no, ordered Archie to take him to the tavern. And then he told the older prince about the fight that broke out, how Archie distracted the men so that Frederic could escape unharmed. Frederic looked guilty too as Kenric told him about Archie's bruises and lectured him about how careless he had been.

"I cannot believe you left him all alone with those bastards!" Kenric yelled, he was fuming beyond measure. "I do not expect you to have fought them on your own but you could have called me! Or anyone for help!"

"I should have done that-"

"You damn well should have! Not only did you force him to go with you but then on top of that you endangered his life!" Kenric continued, "Archie! The person who has always stood by you! You left him to the wolves! How can you even look at yourself without drowning in shame?"

"You do not need to make me feel worse than I already do," Frederic said as he gritted his teeth. "I feel terrible about last night."

"As you fucking should!" Kenric snapped.