Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Chapter 30: Lost Love

"I apologize that it took me so long. The King wanted to discuss—"

"It's okay, Ken, you do not need to justify anything," Archie smiled. "I know you have other duties, other work far more important than me and you need to attend to that."

"No duty is more important to me than you, Archie," Kenric said.

"Do not say that..."

"I am merely speaking the truth," Kenric replied. "My titles mean nothing to me. Not when they come in my way of being with you."

"I—" Archie paused, before letting out a light chuckle. "You leave me speechless quite often. Use these words on a woman and you would have her ready to marry you in an instant."

But it is you that I want, Kenric thought, not any other man or woman in the entire world.

"Good to know you believe I have a way with words," Kenric said instead.

"You do. At least for a knight," Archie retorted with a cheeky smirk.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kenric rose a questioning brow, though his tone was teasing.

"Nothing," Archie replied innocently with a grin. "It is late, you should head back to your chambers and get some sleep before the sun starts to rise."

"I am staying here," Kenric stated, making Archie frown.

"No. No, you are not. You cannot spend the night in the dungeon," Archie said.

"You think I can sleep soundly on a soft cot when you are laying down here on the cold, bare ground?" Kenric scoffed. "No way in hell is anybody going to make me leave."

"Ken—"

"This is not up for debate, Archie. I am staying here with you for the night and that is final," Kenric's voice was as stern as ever, and Archie could not help but sigh.

The prince was stubborn, and it was not like Archie could force him to do anything from behind bars. Besides, it was late and after the...eventful day that he had, the stable boy had no strength in him to argue further.

"So you will sleep outside my cell?" Archie asked, his lips pressed in a thin line.

"Yes," Kenric answered with a nod.

"Okay," Archie muttered as he lay down on the floor. "Suit yourself, Your Highness."

Kenric chuckled at the hint of sass in Archie's tone. He followed the stable boy's lead and began to lie down on the ground as well.

It was hard. Cold. Damp.

But he was right next to Archie. Even though there were bars between the two, separating them, they were still close to each other and that was the only thing that mattered to Kenric. Archie tilted his head to look at the prince, who did the same, passing him a small smile.

Archie smiled back, feeling calm with Kenric beside him. The prince felt bold, as he shifted his hand closer to the stable boy. Archie responded by moving his hand so that it was touching Kenric's. The back of their palms was pressed against one another's. It was the only intimacy that either of them could allow.

But it was more than enough.

***

"I do not care how many coins you need to offer. Spread the word that anyone who brings me valuable information will be rewarded handsomely," Kenric ordered.

"Sire, with all due respect, we have already questioned everyone twice. If anybody had any information then they would have already told us," Sir Christian said. "Announcing a reward now would only lead to people lying in order to get paid. It would not be reliable."