Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 36: Selfless

"You cannot say all this, Ken," Archie said with a soft frown. "If people find out–"

"Let them burn me at a stake. I do not care anymore," Kenric stated.

"But I care!" Archie retorted. "I cannot see you harmed. I cannot!"

"Archie..." Kenric sighed. "I thought I lost you, Archie. And no pain can ever be greater than that. I do not care if I need to fight the entire world to be with you. I will do anything for you as long as you are by my side."

"Ken—"

"Only if you want to be, that is," Kenric finished.

Archie parted his lips slightly, before closing them again as he stared at the prince. Kenric was looking at him with such intensity that Archie wanted to both hide away, but also to become lost in Kenric's gaze. Kenric's silver eyes held so much emotion, so much love that Archie could not help but melt.

Even though a part of Archie could not believe that Kenric could love a stable boy like him, he also did not doubt it in the slightest. Time and again Kenric had shown him how much he cared about him. It was not just words for the prince whenever he said he would do anything for Archie. And Archie knew that.

But what did Archie want? Each time he thought about Kenric in a way that was not acceptable he cursed himself for his blasphemous imagination. He hated himself for thinking about Kenric in ways that no God-fearing man ever would.

Archie hated himself for loving Kenric.

But he did love Kenric. He did.

So, why was his throat choking up each time he tried to say it out loud? He wanted to say the words. He knew that Kenric was dying to hear them too. So, why? He had good reason to be afraid of his feelings. But at that moment they were safe. He could tell Kenric that he loved him too and nobody would know. Nobody but them.

"And even if you do not want me, that is okay." Kenric smiled softly as he spoke, but Archie could tell that it was forced. He could see the pain that the prince was trying to mask. "Heaven knows I had accepted that I would forever keep my love for you to myself. Hide it away in my heart for no one but me to know. I have never expected you to return my feelings, and I will never force you to do so either. All I want is for you to be safe and happy, be it with me or without me."

"How?" Archie frowned in confusion.

Kenric tilted his head slightly, mirroring Archie's expression.

"How can you love me so selflessly? How can you be okay with me not loving you back?" Archie asked, making Kenric let out a light chuckle as he shook his head gently.

"Seeing you happy brings me happiness too. So, in a way, I am just being selfish," Kenric answered. Archie gave him a vacant look at his attempt at a joke, making Kenric grin shamelessly. And this time it was not fake.

"Not everything is a joke, Ken," Archie retorted. "I cannot believe I love an idiot like you."

Archie's eyes widened in shock and realization as his own words dawned upon him. He could not believe that he called the warrior prince an idiot right to his face. And also that he confessed his love for the other man while calling him an idiot.

"Did you—"

"I did not mean to!" Archie exclaimed, still in panic.

"Did not mean what?"

"To call you an idiot," Archie answered.

"But did you meanthe other thing you said?" Kenric asked. There was nervousness in his tone. The last thing he was expecting to hear from Archie was this.