Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Chapter 23: Do Not Look Back

Godric would not hurt Archie.

Godric would never hurt an innocent man. He was a good...a just king. He would never harm someone just to teach another a lesson, even if said person was his brother.

Kenric's breathing was uneven and his heart was racing as he walked to his chambers. He could no longer go back to the ball after his conversation with Godric. He was halfway to his room when he stopped in his steps as he came to a realization.

If he escaped to his chamber, then that would only reinforce Godric's belief that Kenric was avoiding his duties and taking advantage of his position for Archie. No. He could not let Godric feel like that anymore. So, Kenric turned around with a weight in his chest and made his way back to the hall.

He put on a stoic, emotionless face with a glass of wine in his hand as he listened to whichever noble was attempting to make conversation with him. It was not uncharacteristic of him to act cold and aloof, so hopefully, nobody suspected the inner turmoil that was causing a tornado inside his mind.

"This is my daughter, Katherine," the Duke of Westshire introduced. Kenric glanced at the young woman standing next to the old man, his expression as uninterested as ever as he greeted her.

Kenric did not miss the blush on her cheek when he kissed her hand politely. He wanted to sigh tiredly but he could not, for that would not be an acceptable mannerism. Kenric knew what the Duke was hinting at as he spoke at great lengths about his daughter, boasting her proficiency in the arts to the prince.

Kenric listened, giving the occasional nod as his eyes stared vacantly at the man. He wanted to avoid looking at Katherine as he did not wish to raise her hopes.

"I shall leave you both alone to talk now, I look forward to seeing you at the dinner table, Your Highness," the Duke said before bowing slightly and making his exit.

Kenric finally looked at the lady. She was beautiful, for sure. Long blonde hair and green eyes, the red gown highlighting the crimson of her lips. Any man would be lucky to call her his wife. Any man but Kenric.

"Please excuse my father," Katherine spoke up. "He never misses a chance to try and find a suitable husband for me."

"I cannot blame him for wanting nothing but the best for you," Kenric replied. Katherine smiled brightly, making Kenric bite his inner cheek as he realized how his words might get mistaken for flirtation. "That is what any father wants for his daughter, of course."

"I suppose," Katherine paused, awkward silence taking place between the two. She cleared her throat, probably hoping for Kenric to carry on the conversation that was drying up before it even started.

"If you will excuse me, I need to check in with the knights," Kenric made up an excuse. He did not want to give the impression that he was in the least bit interested in her or her hand in marriage.

"Of course, you should attend to your duty." Katherine nodded in understanding.

Kenric met Godric's eyes as he walked out of the hall. The King was looking at him intently as he sipped wine from his signature gold chalice, his expression unreadable. As much as Kenric knew he should have stayed longer, he was at his limit and needed some fresh air or he was going to implode.

He ran into Sir Christian right outside the hall, questioning him about any possible update and the knight told him that nothing was out of the ordinary and that all the guards were in position. He assured Kenric that he could go back to the ball and enjoy, making the prince roll his eyes in return. Sir Christian chuckled, knowing damn well how much Kenric hated these events and the formalities they came with.