six.

CHAPTER SIX:

THE MONSTER

The next day, Cassie and Dustin returned to Mike's basement.

"I just...I can't believe she didn't come back." Mike sighed.

"She's gotta be close." Dustin added.

"She said it wasn't safe. She just messed up the compasses because she wanted to protect us. She didn't betray us!" Mike exclaimed.

"Mike, calm down." Dustin said.

"I shouldn't have yelled at her. I never should've done that." Mike frowned.

"Mike, this isn't your fault." Dustin stated.

"Yeah, it's Lucas's." Mike spoke.

"It wasn't his fault either." Cassie joined in.

"It wasn't his fault?!" Mike repeated.

"No." Dustin agreed.

"So you're both saying he wasn't way out of line? Really, Cassie?" Mike asked.

"Totally, but so were you!" Dustin shouted.

"Exactly!" Cassie pointed at Dustin, in agreement.

"What?!" Mike yelled.

"And so was Eleven." Dustin said.

"Oh, give me a break!" Mike screamed.

"No, Mike, you give me a break! All three of you were being a bunch of little assholes! Cassie and I were the only reasonable ones. But the bottom line is, you pushed first. And you know the rule, you draw first blood..." Dustin trailed off.

"No! No way! I'm not shaking his hand." Mike shook his head.

"You're shaking his hand!" Dustin ordered.

"No, I'm not." Mike argued.

"Just do it, Mike. We need all the help we can get." Cassie crossed her arms.

"Since when did you care about Lucas, Cassie? You've basically been annoyed and groaned at what he's said this entire time." Mike spat, "And we could get all the help we need, if we just found El."

"Just because we've had some arguments doesn't mean I want to see him flung into the back of some old truck or not here, helping us." Cassie defended.

"Stop, stop! Mike, this isn't a discussion. This is the rule of law. Obey or be banished from the party. Do you wanna be banished?" Dustin taunted.

"No." Mike answered.

"Good." Dustin walked away to grab his backpack and coat.

"Where are we going?" Mike asked.

"Where do you think? We're going to get Lucas. And then we're gonna find Eleven." Dustin threw Mike's backpack to him.