fourteen.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

THE SPY

The drive to wherever Dustin wanted to take them was bit awkward, to say the least. Dustin tried to stop the silence by telling Steve about Dart.

"Wait a sec. How big?" Steve asked.

"First it was like that." Dustin pinched his two fingers together and then widened his hands to show the distance, "Now he's like this."

"I swear to God, man, it's just like some little lizard, okay?" Steve rolled his eyes.

"No, it isn't." Cassie muttered.

"It's not a lizard." Dustin groaned.

"How do you know?" Steve wondered.

"How do I know if it's not?" Dustin parroted.

"How do you know it's not just a lizard?" Steve shouted.

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat." Dustin explained.

Steve just shrugged and then nodded at the admission.

"What?!" Cassie whipped her head around towards Dustin in the backseat, "Dart ate your cat and you still kept him?!"

Luckily, that was the end of the drive, seeing as they were now in Dustin's driveway. 

"You're unbelievable, Dustin." Cassie shook her head.

The three hopped out of the car and Steve opened the trunk. Lo and behold, there was a bat with nails in it. Steve picked it up. 

"Oh shit, you weren't joking." Cassie chuckled.

The three walked over to Dustin's cellar, which had a lock on it.

"I don't hear shit." Steve leaned in.

"He's in there." Dustin said.

Steve banged on the cellar with his bat a couple of times, to no avail.

"All right, listen, kids." Steve turned to Cassie and Dustin and shone his flashlight in their faces, "I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."

"It's not." Cassie defended.

"It's not a prank." Dustin squinted, "Get it out of my face."

"You got a key for this thing?" Steve moved his flashlight.

Dustin gave him a key, which let Steve unlock the cellar. The cellar was met with a flight of stairs and just what seemed to be empty.

"He must be further down there." Dustin guessed, "I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape."

Cassie rolled her eyes and fished a flashlight out of her bag. She held it and clicked it on.

"Pussy." Cassie scoffed.

"I'm not a pussy, Cassie! I'm keeping watch!" Dustin stated.