sixteen.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

THE GATE

Mike stepped in front of the group so that he could be the first to hug El.

"Who's that?" Steve whispered.

"That's El. She opened and unlocked the door with her mind, come on, keep up." Cassie whispered back jokingly.

Cassie walked up so she stood beside Hopper.

"I called you every night. Every night for-" Mike started.

"353 days, I heard." El interjected.

"Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?" Mike asked.

"Because I wouldn't let her." Hopper cut in, "The hell is this? Where you been?"

"Where have you two been?" El questioned sharply, looking at Hopper and Cassie.

The three fell into a group hug.

"You've been hiding her. You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike snapped and then pointed at Cassie, "And you knew!"

"Hey! Let's talk. Us three, alone." Hopper said.

Hopper, Cassie and Mike moved into a separate room away from the others.

"Protecting her? Protecting her?!" Mike spat.

"Listen. Listen to me. The more people know about her, the more danger she's in and the more danger you and your family are in. That's why Cassie couldn't say anything." Hopper explained.

"Oh, so I should be thanking you then?" Mike sassed.

"I'm not asking you to thank me! I'm asking you to try to understand." Hopper shouted.

"I don't! I don't understand!" Mike shouted back.

"That's fine. That's fine! Just do not blame the girls!" Hopper exclaimed, "All right? They're upset enough as it is."

"I don't blame them! I blame you! I blame you!" Mike pointed at Hopper.

"That's okay, kid. That's okay." Hopper stated.

"No! Nothing about this is okay! Nothing about this is okay!" Mike hit Hopper in the chest repeatedly, "You're a stupid, disgusting, lying piece of shit!"

"Okay. All right! Stop it! Stop it! It's okay." Hopper cradled Mike's head to his chest.

"Liar! Liar!" Mike cried out.

Cassie laid a reassuring hand on Mike's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Mike." Cassie apologized.

The three wiped away a few stray tears and went back to the Byers' living room. Joyce had just talked to El about the gate and if she could close it.

"It's not like it was before. It's grown, a lot. And, I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs." Hopper sighed.