thirteen.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

DIG DUG

[ A/N: ITALICS = FLASHBACK ]

Cassie was awoken when she heard loud banging noises coming from the kitchen. She groaned, got out of bed and walked to the kitchen. She spotted Hopper hammering away at something.

"What are you doing?" Cassie rubbed her eyes.

"Oh!" Hopper jumped slightly, "Did I wake ya?"

"Um, yeah, I'd say you did. I have no idea how El is still sleeping." Cassie groaned, "What are you working on, anyway?"

"An axe." Hopper answered simply.

"An axe?" Cassie parroted, "For what?"

"For you." Hopper replied.

"...For me?" Cassie repeated dumbly, "Why?"

"Because, if that demogorgon thing ever comes back, which honestly, it might, you may need to defend yourself. And obviously, you don't have magic powers and I don't trust you with a gun, so, this is the next best thing." Hopper said.

"Um....okay. Thanks?" Cassie's eyebrows furrowed and went back to her room, wondering if this whole conversation actually just happened or if she actually was still sleeping.

After going biking for a little while in the afternoon, Cassie finally went back home. She did the special knock once she got to the house, to no response. Cassie frowned, dug her key out of her backpack and unlocked the door.

"Hop?! El?!" Cassie called out.

No response again, Cassie's frown got deeper.

"Hello? Cassie? Are you there?" Dustin's voice came from her walkie-talkie.

Cassie grabbed it off of the counter.

"Uh, yeah, I'm here."

"Oh my god, finally! Someone finally picked up!"

"Dustin? What's going on?"

"I'll explain on the way. Can you meet me at the Wheeler's house in like 10-15 minutes?"

"Okay. I'll be there."

"Great. Over and out."

Cassie's eyes lingered on the axe that was on top of the table. She picked it up and put it in her backpack, just in case, before sighing and heading out the door.

Cassie met Dustin on her way to Mike house's and the two biked there together. 

"Are you sure he isn't with Will?" Cassie asked.

"He might. Or may not. His line was busy and nobody answered except for you, and well, Erica." Dustin responded.