Chapter 8: Broken

(Happy 3 years of Amphibia!)

Maddie, Wally, and Tritonio practically fell off Domino Two once they landed back at the Plantar Home, which was now their Resistance Base.

Maddie still had tears streaming down and she got up. No curse had ever hurt this much. No magic spell could make this better.

Anne was turned against them. Marcy was the host of someone even more evil than Andrias.

And this dark force? An evil and emotionless robot being called The Core.

Tritonio looked sick to his stomach as he shakily rose to his feet. Every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was Anne's purple eyes. And The Core's one eye glaring at him.

"It... it knew that we were there," Tritonio choked out, clutching his stomach.

Wally slowly stood up. "A...And it sent Anne after us...! Anne is...is..."

Maddie looked at the two. "H-How are we gonna tell everyone? Tell Sasha?" She then went quiet. "Tell The Plantars...?"

Tritonio shut his eyes, taking a deep breath. He was quiet for the longest time, before he opened his eyes again.

"There is no way to soften the blow. We just... we just have to tell them."

Wally nodded slowly, taking off his hat as they went into the Resistance Base.

And much to their dismay? Nearly the entire Resistance, even a few frogs and toads who knew Anne were waiting for them. Sasha and Sprig were in front of them all.

Sprig's anxious face only grew when he saw the looks on their faces and the fact that they didn't come back with Anne. He wasn't expecting them to, but deep down, he was hoping for it.

Sasha stepped forward. "Status."

Maddie was dead silent, as if too afraid to say it. Wally couldn't muster the courage either. He just clutched his hat.

Tritonio stepped forward, and he couldn't look at Sprig, clutching his fists as he took another deep breath, and then looked up at Sasha.

"...It's worse than we thought, Commander. So much worse. Andrias... he isn't the mastermind behind all of this."

Sasha's eyes widened. "W...What? It's...it's the dark force that Mother Olm talked about. What is it? What do you know about it?"

Wally then finally got the guts to say it. "H-He calls it The Core...it...it used to be a robot, but...it's possessing Marcy."

Sprig's eyes widened. "W-What?!"

Sasha was dead silent. She tried to look for any kind of look in their eyes that said this was a lie...but no. They were telling the truth.

Marcy was alive. Just in the worst possible way.

She trembled, clutching her fist. She hadn't completely forgiven Marcy for everything. Marcy was the one that brought them there in the first place...but she'd be a hypocrite if she blamed Marcy for everything.

Their friendship was anything but completely healthy.

"That... that isn't all..." Tritonio suddenly said, looking sick. He then locked eyes with Sasha. "Commander... did Anne... ever have feelings for Marcy...?"

Sasha's eyes widened and she tried not to think back to past times, the times she craved. At least not too much. "Y...Yeah. Anne's had the biggest crush on her since we were kids..."

Maddie felt the tears build up a little and she looked away.

Sasha then looked at Tritonio. "...where are you going with this? What happened to Anne?"