Chapter 13: Change

Sasha now had a new mission. Fulfill The Prophecy that she was chosen for with the powers that she was destined to receive. Add that to the gigantic mission of stopping The Core from conquering other worlds including her own, and you get a stressed Sasha.

But for the first time in a long time, she actually felt hope...getting the Calamity Box would be hard, but not impossible. So, training began.

"During your fight with The Herons and encounter with The Core, you were able to harness the tiniest amount of your Calamity energy." Valeriana explained. "You have to tap into that again."

Sasha then opened her eyes. "And...meditating supposed to help with that?"

"You're at the peek of your physical strength, Sasha. But accessing the Calamity Powers and their full potential requires mental strength as well. Which is something you need work on." Valeriana said.

Sasha's eyes narrowed. "Well, sorry that I feel like the weight of The Multiverse is on my shoulders. And also? My best friend is brainwashed."

"...you say friend. Singular." Valeriana said. "What about Marcy?"

Sasha's eyes widened a bit and she went silent for a moment. She...hadn't thought about Marcy ever since she learned Anne was taken. She placed a hand on her head. "...crap...I haven't even thought about her..."

"You feel complicated about her." Valeriana said. "Even when you learned she was alive, you didn't know how to feel. She betrayed you by taking you here in the first place."

Sasha nodded. "...yeah...I-I guess when Anne was taken, I just...forgot about her...I'm a bad friend, aren't I?"

"It's been made clear that your friendship needs a lot of work. Communication." Valeriana said. "You have realized that you can't control everyone. Anne has realized that she needs to grow into the leader of her own life instead of a mere follower. And Marcy...well, she's always had to realize that she can't just escape reality."

Sasha sighed. "She said she found out about the Calamity Box because her parents wanted to move away, and she was scared she'd lose us...Marcy's parents were always a little strict on her, but I guess this was the last straw...I still didn't think she'd go this far."

"You must realize that while what Marcy did is not something to be thanked, it was an act of desperation." Valeriana said. "And remember, even if it was not a good action, it resulted in many good actions."

Sasha smiled as she began thinking about her new toad father and all of Amphibia, nodding. "Yeah...I guess so, huh?" She then faced Valeriana again. "So, what does talking about this have to do with the mental strength thing?"

"Simple. We can't simply get rid of every single trouble on your mind right here. Your mind is fogged with worry and concern for your friends, yet complicated feelings for them." Valeriana stated. "Add your mission with all of that, and your own mind is quite literally weighing you down."

Sasha nodded. "So, we're easing the weight...got it...I guess Marcy's a good start."

"Like Anne, she's possessed by The Core...you want to save her, yes?"

Sasha immediately looked up. "Of course I do!"

"Then, what is it that you fear? What is it that's making you feel so complex towards her...?"

Sasha was silent again, as if trying to find the words. She then sighed. "I...I guess I'm just...scared of what's gonna happen after this. Things aren't ever gonna be the same between us."

"...is that a bad thing?"

Sasha looked up, now somewhat eagerly awaiting Valeriana's next words.

Valeriana then gave a gentle smile. "If things were always the same, then what would be the point? Change is a part of life. Bad changes will happen, but so will good changes. No matter what, you can't just keep things the way they were...and we've established that what you had before isn't as good as it may have felt."

Sasha looked at the floor for a moment before sighing and nodding. "Y...yeah...you have a point...both Marcy and Anne have to be saved. Even if things won't be the same again, maybe...maybe that's for the best. I have a pretty good feeling that there's gonna be a lot of emotional baggage between them when this is all over."

Valeriana nodded. "...how do you feel, Sasha?"

"...for once?" Sasha asked as her eyes suddenly turned from blue...to pink.

"I know what to do."

Meanwhile...

"Hey, Anna-Banana!" Darcy sang as she flew over to her 'beloved' in the Throne Room, her cape looking extra cool thanks to the wind generated by the thrusters on her boots.

Anne looked up and grinned, her hair glowing blue as she flew up to Darcy. "Yeah? What's up?"

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about something...it may be...personal." Darcy said as they both floated back down.

Anne's purple eyes widened a bit before they softened. "Okay...what is it?"

Darcy's multiple eyes closed for a moment as the collar began activating. "It's about...Sasha...I...I don't really know how to feel about her right now."

Anne sighed. "...to tell ya the truth, Mar-Mar? I don't either. I thought she changed...and I'm not even sure if she has. I mean, I only need you! But..."

"Well, if that's the case, then maybe we should just be done with her." Darcy said as she held both of Anne's hands. "I mean, you don't need anyone other than me!"

The collar began kicking in and Anne began to nod. "Y...yeah! Psh, who needs her? H-heck...who needs The Plantars?"

Darcy's eyes softened and she gave her 'girlfriend' a hug, patting her back. "That must've been tough to say...I'm proud of you, Anna-Banana."

Anne sighed and rested her head on Darcy's shoulder. "Thanks..."

"I should be thanking you. I feel like I just needed someone to help me confirm my feelings on good ol' Sasha Waybright." Darcy said with a grin as she broke the hug. "Oh, umm...one more thing."

Anne turned. "Eh? What is it...?"

"...you've been talking to Andrias a lot lately." Darcy said. "I...I'm just wondering why."

Anne's purple eyes widened a bit and she rubbed her arm, as if trying to come up with an answer...an answer she didn't have. "I...I dunno...I should be hating him, right?"

"Anne...he did this to me." Darcy said as she presented herself. "The suit's cool and all, but...I can't take it off. I can't take this off." She said as she tapped her helmet. "He's in the dungeon, sure...but I'm worried if he's trying to take you away from me."

Anne's eyes widened and she quickly hugged Darcy again. "No...no, never...I guess I just needed another face to talk to. That's all. But I'm never leaving your side...not again..."

Darcy hugged back, a wicked grin forming on her face. "...good."