part 1 - newcomer

The competition is in only a few hours. I haven't gotten any sleep at all. This is isn't good for my body or my brain.

Really, the only thing on my mind is Ari Gibson. Just a year ago we were all having fun and talking on our boards like normal before Marlon and him had the stupid idea to jump off of Stairway. But Marlon won't tell us anything. Now we are hours away from the biggest comp that decides whether or not we show those Anchor Cove kooks in the quarters. And we don't have Ari with us.

I can't handle it anymore. "Poppy! Wake up!" I shook her awake. She grumbled and turned the lamp on.

"What? It's like four in the morning."

"I need to tell you something."

"Tell me in the morning. It's way too early right now."

Poppy rolled over to her side and put her headphones on. There's no use in getting to her now.  That's the thing about having Poppy as a sister. Step-sister to be exact. When her mom died, her dad ended up marrying my mom only a few months after she passed away. It wasn't the best introduction but... that's beside the point. Poppy is just so determined to get what she wants, but she won't listen to anyone and goes into her own zone for hours on end. I've known her since we were little surfing buddies in Boardriders Club, but suddenly becoming her step-sister was the last thing any of us wanted. I'm only a few months younger than her but the gap seems to be 10 years instead.

━━༺❀༻━━

The next morning was hectic as expected with all the Tetanui family scrambling to pick up boards and run down the beach stairs without eating sand. I love surfing, but I can honestly do without having to shower four times to get seawater out of my hair. I'm sure Bodhi has it worse with curly hair.

Marlon and Bodhi were already at our Boardriders tent. "Does it look like anyone will catch a wave today? The whole area looks flat." Bodhi curled hair around her finger nervously and leaned into Marlon.

"I'm sure that the wind will pick up some waves soon. The comp is at this time for a reason." I said while struggling to put my wet suit on. Bodhi smiled in response. "I'll be back."

"Mina! Don't forget your heat is in an hour!" Manu reminded.

"I won't!"

I went up to the van and changed behind it and finally got it on.

"...and I'm pretty sure the son is somewhere on the loser spectrum."

American? I turned and saw Ari talking to a girl with blue highlights and a beat up skateboard. I haven't seen him in months.

Ari grumbled some words and left while the girl looked shocked.

"Are you new here?" I said nicely behind her.

"Oh! No, I won't be here for long. I'm going to use my mom's credit card to catch the next flight home." She replied and pointed to her skateboard. "I just don't know if I can skate all the way to the airport."

"Well, my name is Mina. Mina Collins. I'm the Telanuis' step-sister."

"Summer. Say, do you know if anyone can give me a ride?"

"—My brother can." Poppy came out of the blue and put her hand on my shoulder. "Come on, Mina, Ari's first."

"Ari?! Shouldn't he be at home?" I was shocked. No one had told me Ari was going to be surfing today. Last time I heard about him was when I saw his sister, Honey at the grocery store. Supposedly he's under house arrest like some criminal.

When we walked down to the beach, Ari was already there with Marlon and two other Anchor Cove boys. He ran to the water like his life depended on it as soon as the timer began. Watching him surf, I felt bad. Since Ari hadn't been around for a year and rehab, Marlon told us he didn't want visitors. I don't know what we did wrong, but Poppy especially has been worried.

Ari managed to come in third, Marlon second and Griff first. Both our Boardriders managed to make it to the semi-finals.

"Girls Under-16 will begin in five minutes!" The announcement was loud and clear.

I have to do well during this heat. Me, Poppy, and Bodhi. I've only been considered some tag-along of Poppy's. No one's warmed up or even considered me good. Even Manu wanted me to not enter this comp.

━━༺❀༻━━

The timer set off. My heart is racing and my feet burn under the hot sand. Come on, Mina. It's all worth it in the end. You get at least third or second and then everyone can't disregard your surfing abilities.

A girl from Anchor Cove was eyeing me. No way will she psych me out. Bodhi was still lagging behind me and Poppy.

Poppy took the first wave and scored a 8.3– expected. She managed to cut off the other girl where the girl did a wipeout. Bodhi tried to take a wave after the AC girl, but tumbled into it. I'm the last to go.

Only thirty minutes to prove I can win and enter the state team. I went for it.

━━༺❀༻━━

I GOT IT! I GOT SECOND PLACE. Poppy was first naturally, but she's arguing with Bodhi. Apparently Bodhi stopped caring about surfing and was just playing tonsils with Marlon all week. She would need to do better in the next round in order to advance onwards.

I looked at Manu.

"That was great, Mina. You've improved a lot since you entered the Tetanui household." He smiled and rubbed sand into my dried, salty hair. I couldn't contain my smile. I can finally see Ari since I made— wait Ari?

Ari was running in the opposite direction of our tent. There was that girl Summer who was shouting and yelling at Sheridan with a broken skateboard. "Oh no."

Me and Poppy rushed before she can whack anyone with her board.

"Hey! Sorry, she's with us. She's probably just confused." Poppy mediated. "Come on, Summer."

Summer followed us and Ari ran and shook her shoulders. "I swear, my folks won't let me out of the house if you end up dying on my watch."

"Wait— you guys are living together?" I dropped my board. Sand spit on everyone.

"No, she's just here because her mom sent her halfway across the world." Ari said quickly.

"Ari, how come you haven't told us you're competing? We're still your friends..." I started to say. Ari only gave me a half look and left while Summer stayed behind.

I'm already starting to have a bad feeling now that Summer is living with Ari.

"Mina, can your brothers still give me a ride?" Summer piped. I looked at her and she smiled. Oh, no. I'm not supposed to be hating a girl I barely know. Especially if she had already sent a truck down the beach.

"They're not really her brothers, they're just step-brothers. I'll see and tell you. Come to the party at my house tonight!" Poppy interrupted and answered for me. Summer nodded and shared me a confused look. Did Poppy really just indirectly say I'm not part of the family? I know Mom and her dad have been gone for awhile on a work excursion, but I still consider her my sister. Even if she doesn't think my mom can be a good mom.

Do I really not belong here yet?