part 2 - apologies and ice cream

After the comp, the van ride back home was long and awkward. Manu and Prawnie just avoided eye contact through the car mirror and played the radio crackling. I was glaring daggers at Poppy, but her stupid headphones tactic was enough to make me rip them off her head. "Poppy! Would you actually get back into reality for one moment?!"

"What?! I'm not even doing anything to you!" Poppy yelled and tried to reach over me to grab her headphones. "Are you still mad about Summer?"

"It's not even Summer! It's the fact that you invited her to your party even though you've only known her for like, a day! And you didn't even try to mention to me, your sis- wait sorry, STEP-SISTER, there was going to be a party where I ALSO live?!"

"It's not like it's really your home anyways. You can't replace Mom..." Poppy grumbled and snatched the headphones back. "And honestly, I could care less right now about your opinion."

"Hey, hey, hey!" It was Manu's turn to intervene. "Poppy, apologize to Mina. It's not like she deserved that."

"Honestly, do you hate me?" I turned to Poppy who had tears in her eyes.

"I really don't want to talk about this now. Can we go home?"

That was the end of the discussion.

━━༺❀༻━━

Working at an ice cream shop seems like a dream. Free dairy-sweet, lactose intolerant people's nightmare, ice cream. No, it is horrible. Little kids. Sticky mess. An ugly, pink hat. And a great (mandatory) welcoming monologue. Welcome to Cream and Ice, all things ice and cream, please select from our selection of ice creams! And it's also windy outside. Not great ice-cream inducing weather.

I couldn't stop thinking about what Poppy said about me not being her sister. I still loved her, as friend or sister.

My thoughts were interrupted when the door opened. It was Poppy! Speak of the devil.

"Welcome to Cream and Ice, all things ice and cream, please select from our selection of ice creams." I said in my best monotone voice. I winced hearing myself.

"Look, Mina. I'm not here for ice cream. I just wanted to say sorry. I know it was wrong to not include you in our family dynamic. It's just hard trying to get used to it and also with Ari coming back and..."

"It's fine. I just wish you had let me help you plan the party. We could have found cute outfits to find a boy for ourselves." I teased and poked Poppy's side ribs. I put out my pointer finger. When we were younger, we would pretend to be related and make pointer promises. "Stepsisters?"

"Sisters." We pointer joined, and Poppy left a bit more skip in her step. I sighed in relief, and when the next person came through the door, for once I wasn't mad to say that horrid welcoming message.

"Welcome to Cream and Ice, all things ice and CREAA—." My voice hit a flatline seeing Ari and Summer in front of the counter.

"Uh, hey Mina. So do you work here now?" Ari asked.

"Well, a lot has happened since, you know. I turned 15 yay..." I really need to stop talking. I turned to Summer and smiled. "Anyways. What can I get you?"

"I'm just showing Summer the great sites of Shorehaven."

"Yeah, and where's the great reception?" Summer piped in, hitting her phone.

Ari rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna use the bathroom."

"You have my permission." Summer said. When Ari walked off, Summer looked up and smiled. "Will you give me free ice cream?"

"Sure. Uh, we're out of chocolate, though."

"Rocky road is fine. It's basically chocolate with extra pizzazz."

I handed her a scoop of ice cream in a cone, and Ari came out smelling like Febreeze. "Oh my god did you spray the Febreeze on you?"

"I swear I thought it was hand soap." Ari brought out his hands that were wet and shiny.

"That really seems like something you'd do, Australian." Summer teased.

"Hey, Ari. Can we talk? In private for a bit?" I asked and glanced my way to Summer.

"Yeah sure."

I took Ari's hand and the stupid hat off my head. The hairs on my skin stood up holding Ari's hand. We went outside. As mad as I was, I punched him. Hard.

"Ow! What the heck?!"

"Why haven't you talked to us? You show up suddenly in months, and now Summer is your best friend?"

I can't help but be a bit jealous. I know it isn't Summer's fault, but the fact that she's now come out of nowhere, I feel a bit on edge with her around. Even when we were little, me and Ari used to beat each other with our paddles and talk about everything. But now it's obvious he's hiding something with the way he twitches his hand or swallow and his Adam's apple bobbles. There's something, but I won't find out today. My biggest worry is getting along with Poppy, but now I need Ari back in our team.

"Look, it's not what you think. I've never tried to abandon you guys. It's just been hard."

"It's been hard for Poppy as well with her mom's funeral. We missed you. All of us. Even Marlon still cares about you despite the fact you guys wrestled in sand."

Earlier in the morning Marlon and Ari had tuckered out on the beach. He should be lucky that both of them didn't get disqualified.

"I'm sorry. Ok? I get it. I should have been around. But you guys should've as well. I just didn't think I'm invited anywhere anymore." He switched between crossing his arms and rubbing his shoulders.

"It's fine. But you should come to Poppy's party at her place tonight. People still want you around, Ari."

Especially me.

... Wait, what?