part 7 - road trip

Again, game day mornings were totally chaotic. Marlon and his mom had driven up to the surf club to share the weight of luggage and emotional teenagers on a crisp Australian day. The cold air bit my face and I huddled under a towel. I felt a hoodie land on top of my head. I opened my eyes and it was the red one that Ari hadn't worn since the eighth grade. I turned back and saw him. "What's this?"

"I didn't have laundry so I had to do some digging. You obviously need it more." Ari said without making eye contact with me. I saw his ears were a bit pink.

Long blond hair covered his face as he hauled into the backseat of Marlon's car. I heard Marlon argue with his mom.

"There is no way I will ride all the way to Jackson Bay with Ari sitting next to me!" Marlon yelled.

"If you ever want any rides to any competition, you will listen to me and reconcile with your friend." His mom said and scolded him in sharp Portuguese. Marlon rolled his eyes and went into the car.

I slipped on the hoodie that was two sizes too small for him. It still hung past my shorts. Summer, Poppy, Bodhi, and I all got in Manu's van and instantly debated our Spotify playlists. We settled for Poppy's road trip mix and sang the whole time. Manu honked to Marlon's car when we hit the freeway into high mountains.

"So who's going to let me take a wave during our heat today?" Summer piped up from the back backseat. I turned and pushed her forehead back.

"There's no way I'm letting you steal my chance to become a finalist. If we win, more people will start taking lessons from the surf club." I said. What I said had me thinking about the text Bodhi sent me a few days ago about the sponsorship at Molly Novak's agency. She's a big thing in the surfing community. Being part of her agency would mean a huge deal to land magazine shoots and promotion for the club. It's like being a supercelebrity.

"All this time I'm worrying about acing today. I'm still not sure which board to use." Bodhi said.

"You always say this. You're going to do great today, Bodhi!" Poppy encouraging. I gave Bodhi a supporting squeeze around her waist. Even with weird feelings around Ari, I still loved her as a friend. We're all going to be there for each other. It still had me thinking...

"Guys am I pretty?" I blurted out. All the weird messages and signals Ari and I have been sending had a weird taste on my tongue. I needed validation.

All of the girls at once started talking and yelling at me.

"You're so pretty. Who made you think you're not?! You literally have the best legs and a small face. Your hair is a nice light brown, too." Bodhi exclaimed and shook my shoulders. I hugged her back and laughed.

"It's no one. People are just dumb." I said.

"Well, I'll find out tonight who this person is. Are we going to do anything fun tonight?" Summer winked and slumped back into her seat. "Also, I'm going to kill it at Jackson Bay today."

"Honestly, I can't believe you entered the competition. Manu is still in shock over it. And Marlon's mom is a total sergeant. She'll have us to bed before sundown." Poppy said. Summer ruffled Pops' hair.

"It can't be that hard, right? What are going to do all night? Do mani-pedis and talk about boys? Girls are too much drama sometimes, sorry."

We all smiled at each other and we continued to talk until Jackson Bay came up over the horizons. The air was dry, but it was sunny and I loved the color the sun gave to my face. I just hope I don't get a sunburn on my hair part like last year. Everyone shuffled out of the van, and we met with Marlon's gang. A stiff pair of stupid boys standing an abnormally large length apart from each other walked behind us.