part 10 - surprises

No way. Things between Ari and I were just getting good. We actually established a bond as like, talking-venting-counseling buddies for each other. If Bodhi were to break up with Marlon, that would mean Ari would take his chance. Knowing that Marlon knew Ari had a crush on Bodhi and still starting dating her when he was away, who knows if Ari would consider it morally right to go after her. I've been so dumb to think things were going good. One closet session and staring across the room didn't mean anything. It just meant he needed to tell me something. Summer was soooo wrong.

"You must be joking. You and Marlon are so cute together!" I exclaimed but it came out high pitched and whiny. Why, why, why Bodhi? With your freaking great proportions and tiny nose, PLEASE don't break up with Marlon goddamn Sousa. I seemed to have made her second guess because she looked at me and flinched her head back. "And if it's about what he did to Ari, don't worry. They're buddies again. They talked it out during the last heat. Marlon apologized. Give him another chance."

I tried to reason with her but inside my head I was on my knees begging and pleading with hands together. There was a long silence before she spoke. "You're right. It should be fine if he said sorry. It's just he needs to grow up."

"To be honest, you do as well." I said without thinking.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Bodhi crossed arms and cocked her head to the left.

"You're always doing your makeup or playing around with Marlon. Poppy gets annoyed about it and remember what Manu said the other day in the weight room? We need to take surfing seriously. We're already almost 16."

"Look, I already told you that I have my own relationship surfing. I'm not trying to be some tryhard Poppy wannabe and win every heat. I'm trying to build a brand around myself."

"Well let's see how long it takes." I said and walked away. I was annoyed between if Ari actually liked me as a friend, best friend, or something more. I just know I can't get too ahead of myself. I packed my things into my duffel bag and went outside. Between Marlon's car and Manu's van, it'd all be going the same place. Both Ari and Summer were looking at me from separate vehicles as if both were expecting me to go into theirs. I was about to just drop it and take a bus home. I couldn't deal with Bodhi, or deal with Ari.

When I turned on my heel and decided to walk to Marlon's car, but Ari's face turned into a confused look. It made me want to turn back around but Bodhi stepped in front of me, towering with her model height. "Look. Mina, I know you're right. But just please don't try to mom me. I'm already dealing with something."

"What are you dealing with?"

"Just... something with dad." I instantly got it. Bodhi's parents had been divorced for a while now, but her dad was a contractor for rich people's homes. He probably needed help.

"I'm sorry, but remember..." I held her hand. "It's not up to your dad if you want to surf or not."

Bodhi smiled and walked to Manu's van. While I watched her get smaller the farther she got, she turned and yelled, cupping her hands to project volume. "What? Are you just going to stay there?!"

I instantly picked up my duffle bag and got out of my daze. When I walked to the car, Ari gave me another final glance before getting in his own vehicle and drove off. It's not like I won't see him. We're all going back to the same place anyways. The surf club. The ride was pretty quiet because we were all tired from the heat earlier today and the girls fell asleep.

I couldn't close my eyes with my head full. There were still a lot of things to settle with Ari, the Subtropix 360, and Bodhi.

Yet, in my middle of my thoughts, I felt my lids get heavy and head bob into sleep.

━━༺❀༻━━

The van's wheels revved sand, then slowed into a stop. Car doors opened and slammed which made me jolt awake. Bodhi and Poppy started to stir and stretch and yawn. "We're back home now." I said and opened the door on my side and hopped out.

A large yawn came out of my mouth and my eyes were still blurry, adjusting to the dusky sky. It wasn't too dark, but the sun was definitely setting. I'm not sure if it was just me, but Jackson Bay sea air smelled a lot different than Shorehaven. And I'm so happy to be home even if it's just been a day. I turned and saw Ari and Marlon laughing with each other. A relieved smile came onto Marlon's mom's face. It was rare to see his mom smile as she always had a tight bun, wrinkle-free coat, and matching purse. She was always presentable and clean-cut, but always spoiled Marlon. Marlon is a ridiculous pain in the butt, but I guess he means well after apologizing. They're getting along again.

I must have been zoned out for too long on the view of the boys because Marlon caught my stare and walked over to wave in front of me. "You okay? You're, like, frozen."

"No, it's nothing. I'm just tir—" I was more tired than I thought because a loud yawn came out of my mouth. "Sorry."

Marlon smiled with straight teeth. "It's fine. I'm sorry about what I said the other night. Ari and I made up if you want to know."

"That's good, and we're cool." I crossed my arms and shrugged. He pat my back and ran back to his car to go home. Footsteps shuffled on the coarse ground. Ari was behind me, guessing from the shadow of his long hair that appeared in front of the sunset. "Yes, Ari?"

I finally turned to face him. He shifted side to side. "I was wondering why you didn't want to ride with us earlier. You were walking to us at first."

"Bodhi and I were talking about something. It didn't feel right to go to the opposite car after. How come? Did you want to ride with you? You could've said instead of giving me weird looks. Actually, you have been giving me weird looks for the past few weeks."

"Well... well it's because I like you, that's why." Ari's voice cracked.

No way.