part 28 - party foul

"So, Ari cut things off with you and the next day, today, he was mooching it off with Bodhi and gave her a present?" Summer asked. Poppy and I nodded. Marlon was also listening and had completely sunk into his chair. "Wow."

"Yeah. I know, Summer. I know." I shrugged it off. "What's with this sorry vibe? I want to dance! Isn't that what we came here for?"

Summer beamed. I obviously hit a happy nerve for her. I took a deep breath and went back into the party, ready to put Ari and Bodhi behind me. It felt like a doormat move and there was no doubt about the rage I had. I wanted to throw a table or a chair at the wall. Maybe yell a bit. But I'm with my friends who came to have fun... it's better to be the bigger person and move on with the night.

The music vibrated through my body and I could barely hear Summer's incoherent babbling. She went off to go mooch through the gift bags across the dance floor. I twirled with Poppy when Marlon suddenly cut in to take my hand. She went off to go dance with Bodhi and Ari.

"Hi Marlon!" I shouted over the EDM music that was now hurting my ears. I fear I'll have permanent brain damage after tonight. I began to shimmy back and forth with him.

"Hey! I'm going to talk to Ari. This whole love square situation isn't right." He said.

"No, Marlon, I don't think that's a good idea--!" Before I could drag him back and start a scene, he had walked off and brought Ari out to the deck. Why couldn't he listen?

Poppy and I shared glances. Bodhi awkwardly smiled at me before walking out to the deck as well. She beckoned for the both of us to follow and eavesdrop.

The first topic we heard Marlon bring up was to tell Ari not to date Bodhi. It would ruin our group. For the first time in years, Marlon brought up a good point.

Bodhi couldn't stand the talk between the two boys as it began to get heated on the topic of her. I really wanted to tell her if she couldn't handle it, she shouldn't have gone off dating everyone in our group. "What, Mina? Don't give me that look!" Bodhi exclaimed while rubbing her temple.

"What look, Bodhi? This was all your doing." I retorted. I was over the drama. Over the fighting. Of Ari wanted to cut me off, fine. Go off with Bodhi? Fine.

"You can't say that! You can't. You're also at fault."

"At fault for what? Ari and I were something for a week at most. It didn't work out. I didn't keep him on a leash like you did, having him hang onto a what-if."

Poppy came between us two. "Bodhi, it's plain obvious Ari has a crush on you. Stop playing with him."

"You know I'd never go that far with Ari. That's just gross." Bodhi said. And just around the corner... There was Ari with a puppy-dog expression. Enough disappointment was in his face to show he heard the whole conversation. He walked off in the opposite direction.

I tried to catch Poppy's eye but she stormed off without glancing at us two. I followed suit and decided to head inside away from the conflict. All these fights kept circling back to Ari.

On the way back, I slipped my loafers off as they started to give me blisters. "Shit..." I sat, seeing the marks on the back on my ankles.

"Need a hand?" I looked up and saw Marlon in front of me. He looked tired and his hair was slightly wet. I thanked him and grabbed his arm to pull myself up.

"I need a drink." I laughed and reached across to the server to grab a glass. Marlon's hand intercepted and grabbed my glass to give back to the server.

"You... cannot be drunk." He said, ever so obviously. "Manu will kill us if you're hungover tomorrow. Let's get out of here." Marlon's arm locked with him to help me down the stairs from the party to the beach.

"As if you're one to follow the rules." I grumped and rested my head against his shoulder. "You'd think kissing someone would mean you're exclusive, but Ari or Bodhi didn't exactly follow the rules either."

"Tell me about it. I really liked Bodhi."

"And I really liked Ari." I pulled myself up from his shoulder. "I guess we can't have everything."

━━༺❀༻━━

Once Marlon walked me home, I slumped into my bed and snaked myself under the covers. My body was limp and I couldn't fathom even trying to shower or taking my makeup off. I smelled like a child who finished playing at a Chuck E. Cheese's. I shut the lights off and began to rest.

Poppy came in a few minutes after I've shut my eyes. She shook me awake to my demise. "Whatttt??" I groaned and turned away from her.

"I know today was really bad. It sucks Ari keeps pushing you to the side."

"I really can't have this conversation right now. And you smell!" I threw a pillow at Poppy. "There's something called deodorant." I pointed to my nightstand.

"Don't be an ass! Tomorrow Summer, Marlon, and I are gonna get some ice cream before the heat. You should come. Get your mind off of things." Poppy stood up and walked to the doorframe before turning back.

"Okay. Okay. I'll come." I mumbled. Poppy smiled and turned off the lights again.

Ice cream wouldn't hurt.