Chapter Seventeen

"Nigel! Hey!"

I turned around to face Tory. She's in the same class as mine. "Hey," I smiled a little at her.

"Do you uh, want to review together? Atty. Legardo won't attend our class later. He's uh- he attended a trial today, so... I heard it from my friend from another block because he also didn't attend their class a while ago." she looked nervous.

I slightly chuckled. "You don't have to be nervous every time you talk to me, Tory," I told her.

She looked shocked. "Oh! Oh, right! Yeah! I'm sorry about that! You look intimidating, so... you kind of intimidate me." she laughed to herself. I noticed her fingers tapping her book. She's still nervous.

"You know what, why don't we eat lunch together?" I asked her which kind of surprised her based on her look right now.

"Yeah, sure!" she agreed.

"Okay, cool. Let me- uh, give me a second." I replied immediately to Jairee. I told her that our prof arrived already, so I had to say goodbye. It was a lie. Obviously, I hadn't talked to her for so long. Actually, I didn't speak to her after that 'kiss' as you can call it. I just feel bad because it was wrong, and I feel bad for Tobias. He's my friend. I don't want to hurt him.

I just congratulated her today because Tobias texted me that today is Jairee's first day in her job. I congratulated her as a friend. Nothing more. Besides, Tobias really loves her. I don't want to take my friend's only happiness. 

After replying to Jairee, I put my phone back inside my pocket and faced Tory again. "Let's go?" I asked her. She immediately nodded. We went to the restaurant near our school. Para kapag biglang dumating na si Atty. Legardo ay hindi kami mahihirapan bumalik ng campus. Mahirap pa naman ma-late sa mga prof namin dahil talagang strikto sila. 

There was once when my block mate was late, hindi na siya pinapasok ng prof namin kahit ano pa ang dahilan kung bakit siya late. That served as a lesson to all of us. Kaya kahit isang minuto ay takot na lang namin ma-late. 

"Nagawa mo ba 'yong readings kagabi?" tanong ni Tory habang kumakain kami. 

Tumango naman ako. "I also did advance reading just in case." 

"Ang sipag mo naman." tawa niya.

"Well, I have nothing better to do." I shrugged.

"Wala kang girlfriend?" tanong niya.

Ngumiti naman ako at umiling. "Wala."

"Hindi ba nag-aaya friends mo ng inuman or what?"

"They're all busy to drink."

"Have you had an ex-girlfriend, at least?"

Natahimik ako sa tanong niyang 'yon. "I did have one."

"Isa lang?!" gulat niyang tanong na para bang sa isang katulad ko ay mali na isa lang ang ex-girlfriend ko. 

Scarlet and I became together during fourth year of high school. It was an on-and-off relationship. We were fine during our first year together. But it all went different when we went to college. We went to the same school, but it feels like we're still far from each other. Kahit gano'n, I chose to stay. I chose her. I chose to be with her. Not until she met Xandro. That fucker. 

Scarlet barely had time for me. After classes, she will always say na uuwi na siya at may kailangan pa siyang gawin. Iyon pala ay nagkikita na sila no'ng Xandro na 'yon. Nahuli ko, pero pinalagpas ko. Kasi ayokong masira 'yong kung anong meron kaming dalawa. Ayokong mawala siya. Ayokong mawala 'yong 'kami.'