🥀 20 🥀

~~

Lyla collapses into her bed in her new apartment, pulling the silky sheets around her and inhaling deeply

Her knuckles and wrist throb under the bandages that the nurse had wrapped around her whilst Loki sat and watched with disapproving and worried eyes. Lyla however, could barely even register the pain.

She'd asked that Loki leave her alone for the night, again much to his disapproval, so that she could gather her thoughts without his watchful, piercing eyes. That hadn't stopped Loki from keeping Clint stationed outside her apartment however. Until Brock was found, it'd remain that way.

Lyla groans as she rolls over, trying desperately to shut off her brain that was whirring at a million miles an hour. Her whole life had been so fucked and dominated by loss and control. She just wanted something simple for once in her life.

She'd been so caught up in the hurricane that was Loki that she was beginning to now realise that she was the cause of chaos. She was the one who selected these people, put herself in these situations when she could leave, but she couldn't quieten down the tiny voice that was desperately and utterly in love with him. The monster, the mob boss, the fallen angel that was Loki Odinson. No one had ever made her feel like him, and no one ever would.

She was screwed.

Resigning herself to the fact she wasn't going to sleep, Lyla gets out of bed, leaning to peer out of the window and watch the nightlife below her on the city streets. It always helped her feel less alone when she couldn't sleep, that a whole other city full of people were still alive and doing things.

She squints her eyes as she recognises Clint's car in front of the building and rolls her eyes, knowing Loki has her followed everywhere and not sure in this moment how she feels about it.

Was this all just another form of control? Was she falling into the same pattern as before?

No, don't be so fucking stupid Lyla. Loki would never hurt you. He doesn't want to control you, just the situations so he can protect you. Or was he?

Lyla scrunches her eyes up and rests her forehead against the cold glass sighing deeply. Wandering over to the kitchen she pours herself a glass of cold water, washing it down with an aspirin or two to numb herself.

She'd brought up too many images during training with Nat at the Red Room, images she was still finding hard to shake from the clutches of her mind. Images that had been long buried that were clawing to the surface now.

His face, his voice, his smell. It was all blurring into one horrible nightmarish vision.

He would find her again, she was sure of that.

Lyla stumbles back to bed, dazily looking at her phone and noting that it was 3am. She must've been up reading after she'd gotten back from the hospital for longer than she thought. Time had slipped away from her tonight.