five

"Come on Susannah! Do you really want me to be more miserable than I already will?" I asked trying to pry the little hat off of my head.

Unfortunately, I had to leave to club to change into my outfit for the deb tea, and Susannah was forcing me to wear one of those little hats.

She laughed and tore my hands away, "It's cute, and all of the girls will be wearing one!"

I groaned and looked down at my outfit. At least my dress was cute. It was a pastel yellow and had cute pink flowers printed all over. 

By the time I was ready, and Susannah dropped me off at the country club, I was running late, and Belly was already there.

I walked by the pool area and saw Jeremiah walking by carrying some towels, "Hey!"

He didn't seem to notice me and kept walking, "Jere?"

He finally turned to look at me and looked surprised, "Oh my god. Uh, Lauren. Wow, I didn't even recognize you."

I rolled my eyes, "Gee, thanks. Do I really look that ridiculous?"

He shook his head, "No-no you look really good. Let me walk you over."

Jere was only wearing his swim shorts and I knew it wouldn't look good if I walked into the deb tea with him, but I didn't care.

We started to walk over, "Are-are those hearts?" he said looking at my dress.

I laughed and shoved his arm, "Have you never seen flowers, Jerebear?"

He held out his arm for me, which I gladly took and started telling me about the types of desserts they would have at the tea party.

Then he looked at me and laughed when we reached the top of the stairs, "I still never thought I'd see the day when you're wearing a fascinator."

"Shut up, it's not willingly."

Everyone in the tearoom stopped talking and turned to look at us when we walked in.

Awkward.

"Jeremiah." Some prissy looking lady greeted.

He nodded his head, "Paige"

"Where is your shirt?"

He kissed her hand, "It's always a pleasure," I had to hold in my laugh, "This is Elle, I-I mean Lauren Meadows, the young woman my mom told you about, my future wife."

I gave him a look to shut up but couldn't stop my cheeks from burning.

"She's late."

I thought of an excuse, "I'm so sorry, my chauffeur died."

Jeremiah snorted and Paige gave me a knowing look, "You're at table two."

Jere ran over to the table and stole a cookie before walking bac over to me, "Knock 'em dead." he kissed my cheek and ran out.

I don't know where that came from, but I didn't mind.

I walked over to the table with my back straight and head held high. None of the other girls seemed to really care about me, and some of them were looking at me with jealous looks.

Probably because the Jeremiah Fisher just kissed my cheek in front of them.

All I had to do was remember what my parents told me when they made me go to fancy parties, and I would be fine. I let out a sigh of relief when I noticed that my seat was right next to Belly's.

"Quite the entrance," Bells said when I sat down.

I sighed, "Yeah thanks for making me show up late alone."