four

"My mom's doctor decided to put her on new meds. Which must mean the current ones stopped working," Jeremiah huffed out on our facetime call.

Originally calling him to finalize our plans for my school's prom, I changed course when I noticed how down he seemed, and now I understood why.

"Listen, Jere. I'm at Belly's house almost every day, and if Laurel is happy enough to be going around making her lame 'cool mom' jokes, then I'm sure nothing is too serious," I tried to reassure him.

It was harder that we hadn't been able to see each other in person for a while, but with Spring nearing meant finals and, well... college stress for Jere.

He sent me a sad smile, "Thanks, Elle. She really misses seeing you around, I can tell."

I nodded, "Well tell her that I promise to come see her as soon as possible."

We stayed in comfortable silence for a while while I worked on some homework, "So, I ordered my suit, what color is your dress gonna be so I can get a tie and corsage?" he asked with a more genuine smile.

Even in hard times, he was always so considerate of me, "My dress is blue. Promise you and Conrad won't kill each other on the drive down?" I asked with a pleading look.

Jere and Con had been going through a stressful and tense time with their mom, but it seemed like instead of getting comfort from each other, they were arguing a lot.

He groaned and tossed his head back, "I promise that I will try my hardest. Only for you, though."

I smiled, "You're the best."

-

"Okay, Let's get the boys in here, too," Laurel called in the Conklin's living room.

Both Conrad and Jere survived the drive, and he was ecstatic to see me in my prom dress. On the other hand, Conrad didn't seem to happy to be there with Belly, but I'm sure it was nothing.

Taylor pulled her date over, and Steven did the same while I grasped Jeremiah's hand. 

"Laurel, you-you got a full body shot right? And-and I want, I want the back of Belly and Elle's hair, not just the front." I laughed at Susannah's antics through the videocall.

I was upset that she couldn't be here in person, but obviously I understood that she wanted to be here... it just wasn't a good time.

"I promise that I will send you more pictures, Susannah!" I called as Jere held my waist.

She let out a visible sigh of relief, "Thank you, sweet girl. I'm sorry Laurel, but you suck at taking pictures."

We all posed for a picture and Susannah called out again, "Let me see their corsages!"

I held out my blue and white one and looked up at Jere to place a kiss on his cheek. 

Things got awkward when Conrad admitted to Belly that he didn't have her corsage, and I tried to diffuse the tension, "I think we gotta go, guys!"

Walking over to the Ipad to say bye to Susannah, she gushed at me and Jere, "You two look so good together."

"Thank you, Susannah. I love you, and we will see you later!" I called and Jere said his goodbyes before we walked away.

At the dance, Jeremiah and I were slowly swaying next to Taylor and her date, my feet on top of his just like that night in the kitchen, "Hey, do you know what's up with Conrad?" I whispered to him glancing over to see the other pair still sitting at the table.