three

"Oh, my god. You look so gorgeous!" Susannah squealed as she spun me around. It was now the end of October, and I made the drive back to Boston once again for Jeremiah's school homecoming.

He was nominated to be Homecoming King, and I promised him that I would be there for him, so here I was.

"Mom," Jeremiah groaned from next to me, "Give me my girl back, we need to leave!"

I laughed and took his hand, letting him pull me closer. I was wearing a red mini dress, and Jere had a matching tie on, "Here you are, my lady," he said in a posh voice sliding a corsage onto my wrist. 

Giggling, I leaned up to place a kiss on his cheek, "I promise I will have him back by 10 Susannah," I sent her a joking wink.

She laughed and pushed us out the door, "You two have fun!"

Since I visited Boston last time, Jere's friends were always making appearances in our facetime calls, talking to me in the background, so I wasn't really nervous to go to a different school's dance now that I knew people.

Knowing that we were likely to drink at the party, Susannah called for an uber to pick us up, so that Jere wouldn't have to drive.

In the back of the black vehicle, the uber driver stoically drove us to the school as Jeremiah and I leaned against each other, his hand placed on my thigh, "You know if I win homecoming king we have to dance in front of everyone, right?" he asked.

I groaned, "Are you serious? You know I can't dance."

He let out a small laugh and reassuringly ran his hand along my thigh, "You'll be fine! I won't let you fall."

 Finally arriving, Jeremiah and I walked into the large gymnasium with his hand pressed against my back, leading the way. A few of his friends came up to give him bro-hugs as we entered the highly-decorated area, and some of them even hugged me as well.

I smirked over at Jeremiah when his eyes shone with jealousy. He was so ridiculous sometimes.

"Come on," he took my hand and pulled me away from his friends, "let's go get some drinks."

I glanced around the room at the various people dancing in the flashing lights, talking to their friends, and making out in dark corners. It was obvious that the school didn't really care what the kids did here when I took a drink of the punch Jere handed me and almost gagged at the strong sting of alcohol.

"Jesus, could they have went any heavier on the booze?" I coughed out and he laughed at my reaction.

After talking to Jeremiah's friends a while longer, my feet hurt from my heels, so Jere offered that we sat down at a table and have our own conversation. 

Plopping into his chair, Jere reached down and grabbed my legs, pulling them into his lap so that my feet were up.

Seriously, what was there not to like about this boy?

"Why are you staring at me like that?" he asked with a smile.

I blushed and whispered, "It's because I'm so in love with you."

A similar blush dusted his cheeks and his gorgeous smile grew. I really didn't know what I did to deserve someone like him, but there was no way that I could ever do something to jeopardize it.

Gently running his fingers along my shins, I enjoyed having some alone time with Jeremiah, and as we went through our conversation, it seemed like we were in a separate universe than everyone else.

I definitely didn't miss seeing the other girls jealously watch us from across the room, but honestly, I couldn't blame them.

"So, how are you doing with everything going on with your mom?" I gently asked.