one

My nose scrunched from the burning sensation in my eyes caused by the salty water. Remnants of sand clung to my skin as I shook a beach towel through my wavy hair, hoping to remove any extra water.

A bright smile lit up my face, laughter leaving my lips as I felt warm arms wrap around me from behind and spin me through the air, "Would you put me down, Jere!"

A melodious laugh filled the air, and I was finally placed back onto the ground, only to turn around and see the culprit smiling down at me. Next thing I knew, he was capturing my lips with his own in a delicate kiss.

This is truly what heaven must feel like.

Gently pulling away, Jeremiah took my hand and began to lead me to the path back up to the house from the beach, "Come on, Conrad is probably back already."

I laughed and pushed his shoulder, "And who's fault is that?"

Reaching the back patio of the house, I was met with Conrad and Belly staring longingly at each other while he held her necklace between his fingers.

The infamous infinity necklace.

"We get it, you guys are into each other," Jeremiah teased them with a smile. Belly glanced over at us and I shot her an excited grin, pulling Jere into the house to give the two their moment.

Stepping through the door and into the kitchen, Susannah turned from her vase of vibrant flowers and gave us a warm smile, glancing at our entwined fingers, "I always knew you two would end up together."

Her claim made my smile stretch even further, and I glanced up at Jere only to see him already beaming down at me-

The loud school bell shook me out of my daydream, and I rubbed my hands over my forehead to gain awareness of my surroundings.

I wasn't in Cousins.

Belly and I weren't speaking.

Susannah was gone.

Nothing would ever be the same.

Looking across the bustling classroom, I watched Belly have an awkward interaction with the guy in front of her before her brown eyes met my own. Quickly looking away, I stood up from my seat, gathered my stuff, and walked out of the room.

At least it was the last day of school, right?

Clutching the textbooks to my chest, I walked through the halls, nodding kindly at the numerous people who wished me a good summer.

I feel like you might be a little confused with my current situation, so let me go back to the start.

That day.

-

"I'm honestly surprised that you were the first one to say 'I love you'," Jeremiah laughed as we swung our arms back and forth walking along the path.

I faked being offended and placed my other hand on my chest, "What do you mean? I've always been the bold one between the two of us."

Pushing a branch out of the way for us to continue on, Jere scoffed with a smile, "Are you kidding me? I remember when we were little, and you used to hide behind my mom and blush when I told people you were my future wife."

Geez, he really had been manifesting us getting together from the start.

Playfully shoving his shoulder, I laughed, "Don't expose me like that, I was like eight!"

A comfortable silence filled the air as we continued up the path back to the house, clutching each other's hands like we were scared to let go. I couldn't believe that Jere and I were actually... well... I didn't know what we were... dating?