on the down low?

AT DINNER LAST NIGHT, Grace and the brunette boy exchanged their new phone numbers.

The only downside to this is that they were texting all. night. long.

Brad had also told her that he would pick her up for training the next morning, because he wanted to hang out with her after their day at work.

While Grace was getting ready for Brad to pick her up, she was thinking about the night before.

She had to admit, things were on the fast track, but she was 26 and tired of going to her friends weddings, and herself not even being in a relationship.

She was a little scared of the speed that they were currently taking things, but this time it felt good, it felt right.

She finished doing her hair and quickly got dressed. She then went to go make herself and Brad a protein shake. She was feeling generous.

Just as she was pouring the shakes into water bottles, she heard a knock on her door.

Grace hurriedly ran to the door to find Brad just standing there, ready for work.

"Come on in." Grace said as she left the door open for him to come in.

She walked back into the kitchen, with Brad following closely behind; she grabbed both of the shakes and handed one to him.

"Thank you so much, Gracie." He said smiling widely.

"Of course. If your giving me a ride, I could at least make you breakfast." Grace responded.

"I'd be happy to give you one everyday. Let's go before your dad finds out I'm the reason making you late this morning." Brad said to the blonde as he started towards the door and Grace followed.

"So you now know about my dad too? Damn, I was trying to keep that on the down low. I don't like people thinking I get special treatment because I worked for where I am today." Grace said hopping in the passenger seat of his car.

"Trust me honey, I know you got where you are today because your the most talented pilot I know." He said as he grabbed Grace's hand, while his other hand was preoccupied with the wheel.

Grace loved when he did this. She felt like it was back to the way were.

"Also, another thing we need to keep on the down low," Brad started as Grace was thinking of what in the world it could be.

"Your dad; he just doesn't seem to like me, and I don't want to him to stem ill feelings towards you because we are dating." He said focused on the road ahead.

"On the down low? I think we can manage and keeping it a secret is kinda sexy. Also, we are dating now?" Grace asked him as a smile crept up on both of their faces.

"Well, I took you on a date last night, and I'm driving us to work this morning. I'd say we are dating." Brad said.

"Dating, okay." Grace reassured herself as they spent the rest of the car ride in comfortable silence.

*

The two arrived at Top Gun right on time, walking in together with huge grins on their faces as they took seats on opposite sides of the room.

"Today we are going to keep doing drills like we have been, and then tomorrow will be a fun day." Maverick explained from the front of the room.

Grace glanced over at Brad behind her, and he was already looking at her with a smile.

She should be thinking about training, but all she could think about is him.

"Alright, let's get started. We will work in pairs today, so if you fly solo pick another solo pilot. We are going to 'play tag' again but 1 on 1." Maverick stated as he looked at the pilots.

Grace got up and walked over to Brad.

"Rooster, you want be partners?" She said as he was just now standing up.

"Sure thing, Barbie." He said concealing his grin.

Grace stood next to her partner, and waited as everyone else paired up.

Mav was going to be in the air with them, but supervising this time.

Once everyone had gotten a partner, the pair had picked to go last.

"Before I go out, can I speak to you for a moment Barbie?" Maverick said sternly looking at his own daughter.

"Of course captain." Grace said as she glanced at Brad who was wearing a scared expression and left his side following her dad into a little office on base.

Once the duo were both inside, Mav shut the door behind her.

"So, how's Brad doing?" Maverick asked calmly.

"What do you mean dad?" Grace said as she was blushing. She was a terrible liar.

"Stop lying. I know damn well you know. So what are you two like together?" He asked wanting to get answers out of her.

Grace had to keep her cool, her blush went away so this was her chance. Maybe she could be a good liar.

"No. We haven't seen each other outside of base. What's up?" Grace said, feeling proud that she actually got away with lying.

"Just wondering. This all must be hard for him. Don't get too close to your mission partners, Gracie. Now let's go." He said as he got up and walked out.

Grace walked out and an eager looking Bradshaw awaited her.

"What was that about?" Brad asked her once her dad was outside with the others.

"He was all like, 'this must be hard on Brad, don't get too close to your mission partners, and are you dating' I denied, denied, denied. I can't trust him right now without knowing why he doesn't like you." Grace said looking at him.

"I think I know what he's talking about." Rooster said, careful not to make eye contact with the blonde.

"What is he talking about then?" Grace asked sternly.

When he opened his mouth to respond, they got called outside for their turn.

She was going to get whatever he was hiding out, if he wanted this to work, there had to be no secrets. That was a must.