seven seconds to spare

LIFE HAD RESUMED for the new couple, after their weekend trip to Vegas.

The trip was fun for the both of them, and they left Nevada feeling closer than ever.

The pair was in love, some might say, but as they returned for training they wanted to still keep the PDA, to a minimum.

*

The pilots were now in for their second round of the dangerous course training, instead of actually flying the course though, they would be watching to see what they could improve for the next flight.

The first groups track played, which was Hangman's. He left his whole crew in the dust. Although he finished with seven seconds to spare, the rest of his team finished two minutes behind.

"They all need to speed their asses up." Hangman let out with a chuckle.

"You guys need to match each other's speeds. It's dangerous when you leave your wingman, Hangman." Maverick said to the boy seriously.

Next, Maverick played Grace's teams video.

We made it, but two seconds late.

I shook my head, ready for the lecture I was about to get.

"Barbie, you were two seconds slow, two seconds short. Not only killing yourself, but also your teammates." He said to his daughter sending him a serious look.

"Look Mav, we were so close. Maybe we could get another test run." Payback called out to the instructor.

"Maybe." Maverick responded as he proceeded to start the next tape.

The next taped tracked Rooster; who made it to the end as well with going over by two minutes.

"Rooster what will they accept at the funeral? How will their parents take it when they don't come home?" Maverick said as he interrogated Brad.

Rooster stayed quiet, but then someone started to speak up.

"Maverick is just saying this because he was there when Roosters dad kicked the can." Hangman said with a devious smirk.

"Oh hell no." Grace said angrily as she stood up the same time as Rooster and Hangman.

Rooster and Hangman then practically pounced on each other begging for a fight until they were held back by their pupils.

"Just trying to ensure that baby Rooster doesn't do the same thing as dead daddy." Hangman mocked.

Grace felt Brads muscles tighten in her hand. He wanted to fight him, and the moment she was willing to let him go.

"Shut your fucking mouth." Brad muttered through gritted teeth.

Grace could tell that he was just getting more tense.

"Hey, you wanna get out of here for a minute, I think we are done for the day." Grace said quietly so he would be the only one who heard her.

He nodded and slipped his hand down to intertwine their fingers.

Grace rubbed her thumb in circles on his hand, and then looked up and smiled up at her boyfriend, comforting him.

He gratefully returned the smile, and he was very thankful for the short blonde holding on to his hand.

*

Brad and Grace ended up going to get drinks at Penny's bar that night.

"I miss him." Brad said as he was driving Grace home.

"Who, babe?" Grace said confused by the sudden sadness that took over their usually happy car ride.

"My dad-" He started.

"This might sound silly, but when I'm flying I think he's with me you know?" He said looking at the girl in his passenger seat as he opened up.

"It doesn't sound silly, Brad." She said as she grabbed his hand that was resting on the console.

"Grace, thank you." He said smiling as he pulled into her driveway.

"See you tomorrow?" Grace asked as she leaned into him to give him a short kiss.

"Of course." Brad said as he leaned back in, smiling into their second kiss.

*

The next day was supposed to be training, but the trainees were served some unexpected news.

Commander "Iceman" Kazansky, had died.

Grace knew that her father was close the man, and they were all required to go to the funeral and help with the execution of the service.

*

At the funeral, they all the shot the guns into the sky, honoring their late commander.

The funeral was a sad one, seeing so many captains and lieutenants paying their respects.

Everyone decided to go to a local dive bar after the service, because Iceman would want them to have a drink.

Grace and Brad drove together and walked into the bar together in their uniforms, with their hands intertwined.

Grace spotted her dad and led her and the brunette boy over to the man at the counter.

"Hey Dad, how are you holding up?" Grace asked as she let go of Brads hand to hug her father.

"I'm good, but sad. Just thankful such a good man isn't in pain anymore." Maverick said letting go from their embrace to look at his daughter.

He felt extra thankful that day for his daughter, his support system.

"I'm so sorry for you loss, sir." Brad said to Graces dad.

"Thank you. You guys want anything to drink? It's on me." Maverick said with a smile creeping on his face.

"Sure. Two beers please." Grace said smiling back at her father.

*

It has been a week after Iceman's death, and Maverick was let go from his position as the trainees teacher.

All the pilots were displeased with this situation, but there wasn't much they could do.

"I know it has been a hard past week for you guys. I hate to ask this from you, but we have no choice. The mission will now be in one week instead of two. Our enemies our getting dangerous." Their new instructor said.

"What? How are we going to do that without Mav?" Payback spoke up.

"I will be your new instructor, and we will learn how do this task as safely as possible." The instructor responded to Payback.

Grace sent Brad a sad look. Her dad called her the night before telling her the news. She was truly sad.

Just as she was about to speak up, they saw a plane on the radar where the course started.