plus one

GRACE WAS STILL DETERMINED to find out what was up with Brad.

They got done with their turn, and got dismissed for the day.

Grace practically ran for the dressing rooms. She wanted to get to Brad and talk to him about what her dad said to her.

What would Rooster tell her?

Now they she thought about it, they both didn't really know much about each other's life before the navy.

Just as she was changing and deep in thought, her phone rang.

It was her high school best friend Harper. She eager slid the button to answer.

"Hey Harps, what's up?" Grace said worried something might be wrong.

"Hey girl, how's work?" Harper said, she never asked about work. Something was either happening or someone died.

"Who died?" Grace said sternly into her phone.

"No one. I called to ask you if you would be my maid of honor in my wedding. Dylan proposed!" Her best friend said right back.

"Oh my gosh yes! When's the date?" Grace asked hoping she would be alive to be there for her best friend.

"That's the thing, Dylan is leaving for an international internship in a month, so we threw together a wedding, and it's in two weeks. If you can't make it that's okay, but it's in Vegas. Very small, you can bring a plus one Gig!" She responded excitedly.

"Don't worry I'll be there, pick me out a pretty dress. Text me the details." Grace said thinking more about what she said about the plus one. Would Brad even want to go with her?

"Of course, I'm so excited. Since it's small your my only bridesmaid anyway. I have to go call my mom, I love you and be safe Gig." Harper said throwing in her nickname for Grace.

Harper hung up without giving Grace the chance to respond.

Grace quickly got changed and thought about Brad. He still had to drive her home, and they needed to talk about what happened today.

*

As Grace walked out of the locker room, freshly showered and changed with her wet hair in a messy braid, she saw Brad waiting for her on the bench outside.

She eagerly walked towards him and smiled at the brunette.

He eagerly smiled back and got up.

"Ready to go and eat?" He said to her as he placed his hand on the small of her back to lead the blonde to his car.

"Yes. We also need to talk about multiple things Brad." Grace said as they were both hopping in his car.

"Whatever you want, babe. I really want this to work out for us this time." He said as he grabbed her hand that was resting on her thigh.

The pair spent the rest of the ride listening to music with the windows rolled down.

Brad then pulled into a family diner. Grace recognized this place from years ago, he used to take her here for breakfast after they hooked up.

"Classy, Brad." Grace said chuckling as she got out of the car and walked inside.

"What, I thought you liked this place?" He asked as they sat down in a little booth for two.

The waitress came and took their orders. Brad got a water and a burger, and Grace got a coke and chicken tenders.

"Okay asked me anything you want." Brad said sitting back into his chair.

"What does my dad mean by this might be hard for you? Is it me? Is it him?" Grace asked curiously.

"Well, my dad flew in the navy too, and as you might know both of my parents are dead. My dad just happened to die flying in the navy." Brad said and then took a pause.

"I'm so sorry Brad. I didn't know." Grace said as it was now her turn to grab his hand and comfort the brunette.

"No it's fine. It been what, almost 30 years? I think your dad doesn't like me because my dad was his partner when their plane went down and my dad died." Brad said seriously.

"What? So my dad recognized you because he used to fly with your dad?" Grace asked trying to connect the pieces of the puzzle.

"Yes. I think I realized that today when you came back from your little talk, no wonder he pulled my papers and has been so hostile." Brad said as the waitress came back with their food and drinks.

"So my dad was the one who pulled your papers? Oh my fucking god." Grace said as everything was clicking into place.

"So, any other questions?" Brad said as he bit into his burger.

"Well, my best friend called today and asked if I could come to her thrown-together-last-minute-wedding in two weeks to be her maid of honor." Grace said digging into her food.

"Are you going to go? I'll miss you." Brad said sincerely.

"Of course I'm going, it's in Vegas." Grace said taking a break from talking so she could take another bite.

"Vegas? I'm jealous now." Brad said sounding excited for the girl.

"Well if you would let me finish, I was going to say that I'm allowed a plus one." Grace said as she looked in brown eyes.

"Who are you bringing?" Brad said almost sounding disappointed.

"Lord, I'm bringing you dummy!" Grace said chuckling.

"Really?" Brad said smiling widely.

"Yes. It took you long enough to figure that out." Grace said also smiling.

"I would be pissed if you brought Hangman anyway." He responded as he paid for their food and left.

*

On the way to drop Grace back off, Grace wasn't ready to let the brunette go just yet.

"Hey." Grace said quietly, looking over in the drivers side seat at the boy with the mustache.

"Hi." He said smiling back.

"I'm not ready for you to leave." She said almost at whisper level.

"Me neither." He said as his eyes flicked from her eyes to her lips and back up to her eyes.

Grace grabbed his neck and pulled him in swiftly and planted a long kiss on his soft lips.

Grace pulled away, she wanted to take things slow, and not rush things. As much as she wanted him to spend the night, she wanted to do things right so she decided to hold off for now.

"Okay that's better." Grace said leaving the boy flabbergasted as she got out of the car and walked inside her home.