Ch 1) Project: gaTeway

Late at night, a figure jogs down the streets, attracting the curious stares of the passerby because of his attire. At a steady pace, he repeats a list in time with his footsteps, oblivious to the trails of destiny he was soon to entangle himself in.

"Eggs, milk, bread, vegetables, apples, dust, cup noodles, nutrition bars, nutrient paste, mineral water..."

He continues murmuring the list over and over as he looks all over the place for a store of any kind.

"Why is nothing open at night..." He mutters, starting to get out of breath. "Eggs, milk, cups, noodles, bars...wait, I forgot apples...and dust...and something else?"

Like a game of telephone, his string of words slowly turns into something unrecognizable to the original. But he continues to repeat his jumbled up list anyways.

Then in the distance, he sees a store with the lights on.

"From dust till dawn? It's way past dawn, but hopefully they're still open." He quips to himself.

As he nears the target he manages to see the silhouettes of other people in the store.

"It's open!" He exclaims happily, picking up the pace.

He repeats his list in his head one last time as he reaches for the door, still running at full speed. Finally, he bursts through the doorway.

"I'll take your entire stoc-!"

Only to be cut off mid sentence by a body flying right past him and crashing through the window to his right.

His eyes follow the flying body and sees him lying on top of all the broken glass. Turning back to the inside of the store, he counts four more men in black suits and one man with bright orange hair in a white suit holding a cane.

Upon further inspection he sees the old store owner trembling in fear as he's surrounded by the men previously stated who were all wielding weapons.

A light bulb flicks on in his head as he pats the bottom of his fist onto his palm.

"Ah! This is a robbery!" He exclaims, proud of his deduction. "Oh wait, this is a robbery." He repeats to himself in a much less excited voice.

The man with orange hair in the white suit looks at me with an amused twinkle in his eye. "Yes it is, now scurry off back home kid, it's way past your bedtime." He says in a calm, threatening voice.

The boy frowns. "I'll have you know that I'm a full grown adu-"

He's cut off again when another body flies past him, grabbing his arm in the process and bringing him outside.

"You should probably get out of here." The girl in black and red who grabbed the boy suggests.

He crosses his arms as he looks at the short girl who seemed much younger than him. "Oh, and it's not past your bedtime?" He asks indignantly.

The girl raises a brow in confusion. "I'm over here." She says to his right.

"Oh." The boy says blankly as he turns to properly face the girl.

They don't get to converse further before the men in suits funnel out of the store with their weapons raised.

"That guy over there has a gun." The boy points out helpfully.

"Don't worry, he won't be able to hit me." The girl in red grins confidently.

He raises a brow. "And the people with swords?"

"I'll fight them off with this." She says brightly, proudly showing off her weapon.

"That is indeed a large scythe." He says as he appraises the weapon, wondering how this small girl can wield it so easily.