Ch 13) Deception

Neir POV

"Did you hear that Neir? She speaks, she actually speaks!" Sun says to me giddily. "After all those weird looks and not talking for days, she's opened her mouth and spoke."

He grins at me jokingly and I return the grin with one of my own, glancing at Blake to see her reaction. As expected, she's glaring at him.

"Oh no, she's reverted back to her former state." I say worriedly, gaining a laugh from my newest acquaintance and a glare from Blake.

"Alright, we should probably stop." I let my chuckle die down. "Go on, Cat ears." I gesture for her to continue, my eyes trailing up at her ears.

"My eyes are down here." She glares at me.

"Sorry, sorry." I shift my eyes down to hers as our third chuckles at me.

She sighs. "Neir, Sun, are you two familiar with the White Fang?"

"Nope, only the name and the fact that Heiress hates them." I take a sip of my drink.

"Seriously dude? Every Faunus knows who they are." Sun takes a sip of his drink.

I point to the top of my head, where there are no ears.

"Right, well, they're a group of stupid creeps who all use brute force to get whatever they want. They're a bunch of freaks if you ask me." He tells us his passionate opinion.

I remember a couple nights ago and glance at Blake, awaiting a fun reaction.

"I was once a member of the White Fang." She says calmly, making me slightly disappointed.

Though Sun's reaction was pretty amusing as he spits out his drink in surprise, almost toward Blake.

"Woah woah wait a minute." He wipes his mouth. "You were a member of the White Fang?" His mouth remains agape.

"Didn't know you had such a bad side Cat ears." I purr teasingly.

"I wouldn't call it a bad side." She says without much reaction. "But I was a member for most of my life. You could even say I was born into it."

Blake's eyes trail down to the table as she begins her story.

"Back then, things were different. In the ashes of war, the White Fang had meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between the humans and the Faunus."

"Bet that turned out well. Peace between two entire races after years and years of differences aren't just settled with one agreement." I comment, taking another sip of my drink.

"That's a bit pessimistic don't you think?" Sun frowns.

"I'm a realist, Sonny boy." I inform him.

"Neir is right." Blake cuts in, letting me shoot a smug look at Sun. "Despite the equality they promised us, the Faunus were still subjected to discrimination and hate. The humans still thought of us as lesser beings, and so the White Fang rose up as the voice of our people."

"Let me guess, via rallies and boycotting?" I arch a brow.

"Yes, exactly that, and I was there at the front of every rally, took part of every boycott, and I actually thought we were making a difference." Her eyes dip down again.

"Yeah, shouting demands and collectively not buying something isn't very affected against an entire city of people, especially with such a small group. What were they even thinking would happen? That the humans would suddenly have a change of heart?"

I feel Sun nudge me with his tail, "Dude."

"Right, sorry." I clear my throat. "Go on and don't mind my outburst."