Ch 29) Heavy Hitting Test Run

"Welcome everyone, to the Vytal Festival hosted here, on Amity Colosseum!" Professor Port announces over the many speakers to the excited multi-thousand people strong audience.

On a platform slowly rising beneath the stage, passing lights shine on the fighters on occasion to reveal the anticipation fueled excitement on their faces.

"This year, we've decided to host a special event for the students not participating in the tournament!"

The only face that the light doesn't reach is the one hiding behind a smooth full face mask made of a mirror like material.

"We've gathered a total of forty students from the four kingdoms and they're all eager to come up on stage to show off their skills in this special exhibition match."

"Ooooh~ That guy has a grenade launcher, and that one has a unicycle?" A confused but cheery voice points out.

"The rules of this match are simple, two students chosen by random will duel with the regular rules. And what does the winner get you may ask?" There's an unnecessary dramatic pause. "The next fight of course!"  He laughs. "The only way these students are going to leave the stage is if they're defeated, ringed out, or begging for mercy!"

"Man, you're really going to go up against that guy with a minigun?! They're built like a tank!" The girl exclaims ludicrously.

"There is no final winner mind you, this is only to show off what our future huntsman and huntresses can do!"

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, stop ignoring me, hey, hey, hey, hey..." The girl invisible to everyone continues to poke at the only one who can see her.

"The battle will continue until there is only one combatant remaining with no one left to challenge them. So get comfortable folks, cause you won't want to miss a single fight!"

The girl never gets a reply from the boy before the roof above them begins to crack open, allowing sunlight to spill onto the elevator platform.

"Prepare to give these students a round of applause and a warm welcome as they enter...the Gauntlet!" His voice booms dramatically, causing the crowd to shake the island with their cheers as the forty students reach the stage.

With the tournament being broadcasted to every corner of the world with a signal, the students bask in the glow of the world's attention, waving their hands aimlessly with their upcoming battle on their mind.

"Very good Mr.Port." The second commentator nods, speaking for the first time. "Now will all the students please take a seat at the edge of the stage as the arena is prepared."

Listening to the request of the professor, everyone splits off and walks to a seat that rises from the floor surrounding the large hexagon arena/elevator. As the cluster of students disperses, the crowd is able to get a better view of each individual.

The masked student in particular catches the attention of a few students hailing from Beacon academy.

"Is that-Is that Neir?" The leader of team RWBY asks with widened hopeful eyes.

The rest of the team looks to where she points with the same hopes as her, just to have them quickly shot down.

Weiss shakes her head. "Obviously not, he isn't wearing a lab coat." She says sharply.

Ruby's finger drops pitifully.

"He said he would show up for the tournament, just trust him sis." Yang tries to reassure her precious sister, not at all filled with fury that can only be vented if she punches said boy.