Ch 37: Sorry, Goodbye, And Nice To Meet You

His footsteps are light despite the heavyweights that are dragging him down. He shuts off all of the power and ensures that everyone and everything is asleep. He makes the final preparations as he continues to hear her voice.

He does his best to ignore it but the creeping tone and chill running down his spine make it difficult. The words are clear to him, but he denies them and the speaker.

He flips a lever and a magnetic hum begins bouncing off the walls. He steps into the center of a smooth platform as several rings begin to spin around him. The hum grows louder, enough to temporarily deafen him, but her voice is as clear as day.

"We're all searching for something in life...but not all of us can find that something..."

A door appears before him and the uncertainty of what's to come makes him hesitate. His resolution quickly solidifies as he mumbles to himself.

"Whatever it takes..."

Her hand reaches out for him, trying to drag him back with a chilling screech that terrifies him to his very core.

But she is too late, as his timer ran out with hers.

--

I step through my door and meet the tall tower calling for me. I slowly step along the path and ignore the fire and brimstone around me while staring straight at the entrance. A timer runs down in my mind and I match my footsteps with the ticking.

Any second now...

I should be running, not waiting around like this, but I've already been taught that what I should do and need to do are two separate things.

I feel relaxed, which is odd considering I partially know what's to come. Almost like I've resigned myself to my fate, or destiny for that matter.

But this isn't my destiny I'm following. Much like before, I'm following the destiny of a foolish red haired girl determined to get herself killed for no good reason.

"Neir?! You're here? Perfect!"

I face Jaune and Pyrrha as they run up to me.

The former with a panicked expression and the other seeming as calm as still waters, staring me down.

"A-Alright, now that you're here maybe we can get help easier." I can see the gears turning through his eyes as they quickly become focused. "We can uh, get Glynda! Yeah! I have her number, I can call and ask where she is and you can door-"

"That plan won't work Jaune." I state bluntly.

He jolts as his name leaves my mouth but recovers quickly to fluster out a response. "Why not?!" He exclaims with his phone in his hand.

I clasp both of his shoulders and meet his eyes. "You'll make a fine commander." I smile.

Confusion washes over his face as a door I didn't purposefully summon appears behind him. I take a deep breath. "And always remember to keep your legs wide and body bent, helps with stability."

"W-What are you-"

I lightly shove him and he falls through the bright white light. A shocked look of betrayal across his face is the last thing I see before he's gone completely.

Pyrrha frowns at me and lets out a soft exhale. "Thank you..." She murmurs.

I stare at where the door was in silence, trying to build up my nerves. "Pyrrha, I can still do the same for you." I finally turn and meet her eyes. "Everyone is worried and waiting for you, we can go and leave this all behind." I gesture to the ominous tower behind us. "Together," I add for emphasis.