Ch 40: Changed Man

In the middle of this forest I observe Ruby who has a very odd look at the moment, one I mistake as pensive. And knowing Ruby, whenever she's thinking of something it means it's something serious as the girl rarely ever thinks period.

"Something on your mind Ruby?" I ask tentatively with a yawn.

She startles out of her thoughts and glances at me.

It takes her a moment, but eventually, she spits out what's on her mind. "It's just..." She pauses, causing my body to tense, "so weird to hear you call my name." She finally says with a brief laugh, much to my relief. "Like, my actual name."

Now knowing nothing actually important was going through her brain I relax as a grin grows along my lips.

"That's what you're think so hard about?" I snort, "Still haven't gotten used to it, Ruuuuuuby?" I tease, rolling out the R'.

She flinches before looking away. "No, not really." She admits, "Why did you even call me by a nickname before anyways?" She asks curiously.

Sigh, here we go again.

"What, 'Red?'" I ask obliviously, then chuckle before she can respond. "Well, that's because it's short, sweet, and adorable." I declare with a 'pop', then shoot a smile toward Ruby, "Just like you." I add matter of factly.

Ruby flinches and starts pouting.

"You know that's not what I meant!" She huffs, then puffs her cheeks and crosses her arms. "Besides, that's not like me at all." She huffs again in denial of the obvious.

Not backing down? Fine then, your funeral.

"It so is!" I laugh aloud, "If you were a food you'd literally be a scrumptious, super sweet, crimson muffin." I tease.

"What does that even mean?!" She blushes.

Gotcha.

Having set herself up so perfectly I prepare my final blow. I lean closer to her, slowly draw my lips into a smirk, allow the tension to build on her already pink face, and gaze deeply into her silver eyes.

"It means..." I drawl in a sultry tone and lower my voice into a whisper. "I just want to gobble you up." I lick my lips with as much seduction as I can muster and very obviously glance down at her lips.

She covers said lips with both her hands as her head explodes with steam. Eyes spinning, Ruby lets out a very high pitched squeal before using her semblance to run away. I laugh at her reaction and smile feeling satisfied.

Even Yang would have been impressed with that one.

Though I'm not sure how'd she'd react to me using it on her sister.

Now that I've avoided the topic I use my own semblance to catch up with her. I walk through a door and land beside her silently.

"What's the rush Rubes?"

Ruby jumps at my voice, literally, but quickly tries to compose herself.

"Just want to clear this mission is all." She clears her throat and tries to hide her blush. "You always say to never waste time and whatnot." She adds, trying to scrap together what remains of her dignity as my leader.

I'm guessing she's trying to pretend that the previous episode didn't happen, not the first time it's happened.

Still cute though.

I cross my arms and arch a brow with an amused smile. "Glad to hear you're paying attention to my lectures." I praise her.

She begins to beam and stand taller.