Ch 2) New Kids On The Block

The rest of the ride later and some friendly chatter, we've finally reached beacon academy. It looks just as illustrious I was expecting it to be, much like one I used to attend.

"We're here! We're here!" An excited, albeit nervous girl in red exclaims as we dock.

"Oh look, someone's more excited to leave the ship than Red." I nod over to the puking boy from earlier who sprints to the nearest bucket.

The girl beside me groans in disgust. "Yuck, let's get out of here already." Yang walks ahead.

"W-Wait up!" Ruby runs over to her sister, leaving me behind.

Not bothering to run, I start walking towards the pair who've gotten ahead of me and pass by regurgitation boy, holding my breath as I do so.

I catch up to the siblings as Ruby flutters in the air with a starry gaze similar to the one she had with the huntress.

"Look! That kid over there has a great sword. Oh! And that person over there has a crazy looking halberd!" She exclaims, seeming to unconsciously float towards them.

Luckily, Yang grabs her before she completely flies away. "Ow, ow, you're grabbing too hard." She whines.

"Down girl, they're just weapons. Right Neir?" Yang raises a brow at me.

Ruby defends the inanimate objects before I can speak. "They're not just weapons! They're like an extension of ourself-" But her rant is quickly silenced by her sister, said sister urging me to help her calm her down.

"Actually, I agree with Red here." I smile, not just to annoy Yang but because I genuinely mean it.

Yang let's put a deep sigh and rolls her eyes while Ruby looks at me like she's found a long lost brother.

Seeing her look, I decide to elaborate with my thoughts. "I mean, such sophisticated weaponry must have taken a vast amount research to even make of a logically sound blueprint, not to mention the amount of adept skill in craftsmanship needed to actually put the blueprint together, everything about the creation of these weapons is such an enigmatic mystery. It's quite fascinating really, so I say the appreciation is well deserved." I say nodding at the passing weapons.

The two sisters look at me as if I just spoke a foreign language.

"Weapons cool, me likey." I simplify for them.

Their mouths open into an 'O' in understanding.

Ruby snaps her head toward Yang. "See?! I'm not the only one!" Ruby exclaims with both hands aimed at me enthusiastically.

"Great, another weapons freak. And here I was beginning to like you." Yang sighs disappointedly.

"Give it some time, I'm sure you'll start doing so again soon." I grin confidently.

Yang shakes her head and lets out a chuckle. "Anyways, you've got your own weapon. Aren't you happy with it?" She asks her sister.

Ruby suddenly pulls out a rectangular shaped piece of metal that even more suddenly unfolds into the scythe/gun hybrid from before. Watching the full process of the transformation only makes me more intrigued by it.

Ruby cradles her weapon. "Of course I'm happy with Crescent Rose."

I glance at her red scythe sniper hybrid. "Fitting." I nod in approval.

"Thanks." She smiles brightly at me, then turns back to her sister. "I just like seeing new weapons. It's like meeting new people...but better." She looks down with a slight frown.

I look at her feeling slightly surprised. For a red shaded shining ball of energy I expected her to be more extroverted and enthusiastic when meeting new people.