Ch 48: A Midnight Exchange

Walking through my old home certainly feels odd, but it doesn't feel unnatural. I've already gotten used to being back home, the few people here with me on the other hand...

Some are a handful, while others are just hard to talk to.

The one I'm searching for falls in the latter category. He's been pretty hard to find now lately too, which I don't particularly mind. It gives me a chance to wander around my home some more.

Eventually, I do run into him leaning over the balcony that's just outside my dad's study. He doesn't notice me in the doorway behind and I look around to make sure no one, in particular Sun, isn't around.

He's likely with my mom so I should be fine. Though that in itself is a problem, there's nothing I can do about it.

"When did I become the cat in this little game?" I mumble as I approach him.

L.C. blinks rapidly as he turns his head at me, his face blank and unfocused. It only stays for a moment though as it quickly turns to the friendly expression I've grown used to, but still feel uncomfortable seeing.

"Searching for me, were you?" He spins around and rests his elbows on the balcony as he leans on it, "What did Springboard say to embarrass you this time? He didn't mention how you've been talking to a ghost or something has he?"

"No, not yet anyways," I grumble, leaning on the balcony beside him.

"In due time Blake," He chuckles.

Staring up at the cloudless night I gaze at the twinkling stars surrounding the fractured moon.

"So? What'a got you so nervous?" L.C. asks with a curious twinkle in his dark blue eyes.

I sigh, "You could tell?"

"You've pacing around more often these past few days, making it pretty obvious." He shrugs nonchalantly.

I narrow my eyes at him for a moment and think about denying. But seeing that confident half smile I sigh in defeat. I don't say anything else for a while and neither does he.

I break the silence with a question, "Do you ever think about going back home?"

His mysterious hometown has been the object of my curiosity as of late. Sometimes his stories are so outlandish that they're hard to believe, but they're all so very interesting.

He arches a brow, "I thought we were talking about you here."

"An exchange of information," I tell him, "Answer my question and I'll tell you what you want to know."

"You're just trying to beat around the bush, aren't you." He grins, "Besides, you're a pretty easy person to figure out Cat Ears," He adds, blatantly taking a glance at the top of my head.

I lower my ears in an attempt to hide them and cross my arms. He's been a lot more cheeky ever since we arrived. Maybe I shouldn't have apologized to him, he's gotten too comfortable.

Perhaps noticing my annoyance, he raises his hands and relents.

"I have thought about it, but I don't think I'll ever go back," He tells me solemnly.

My brows furrow, "Why not? Isn't there anyone waiting for you?"

He hasn't told me about the inhabitants of his hometown so now's a good a chance as any to learn more about the people close to him.

After a while of thinking he goes back to star gazing saying, "Would believe me if I told you I had kids?"

I blink blankly at him. He's clearly in his mid twenties so it could be possible. But to leave them behind like that? They should still be young. How could he-