Ch 25) Here, There, And Right Next To You

Doing night watch duty in an abandoned building surrounded by creatures that try to kill us on sight outside the safety of the main city's walls makes me feel nostalgic.

And I hate feeling nostalgic.

Doing my best to keep the past out of my head I glance over at my leader who stares down the scope of her rifle.

"Don't think that's a good idea Red, unless you have a suppressor you're gonna wake everyone up if you fire at that." I remark.

Ruby rests her scythe sniper back on her lap and sighs. "Yeah, I know, just a little bored is all."

"Such is the noble sacrifice night watch must make for the sake of their team." I proclaim dramatically.

Ruby giggles and settles back down, seeming to relax a bit. I've been making it my job to keep her at ease so she doesn't jump the gun or anything out of anxiety, and I'm happy to report I'm doing a good job.

I'm unsure of how long we've been out here now, but as time goes on I become more and more acutely aware of the visions I keep spotting.

There was never an off and on switch for my clairvoyance, so I had to get pretty good at figuring out which of what I see is real or fake and ignoring unnecessary images.

But all of my experience seems to do nothing against this vision, or hallucination. I keep seeing them watching me from afar, peeking their head out of a window or just staring at me down the street.

They aren't doing anything to me, but I can't help but feel like they want me to come to them.

I won't though as I already have some things I need to look after.

"I'm gonna check on the others." I tell Ruby as I get up to my feet.

She turns her head to me for a second. "Alright, don't take too long." She mumbles.

With a brief chuckle I slowly make my way to where the others are sleeping.

"Being a huntsman is a job." I hear Weiss say.

Unless she's gone crazy or sleep talks I'm guessing the other two are awake too. Seeing the opportunity, I lean my back against the doorway and eavesdrop on the conversation.

"We all have this romanticized vision of being a huntress in our heads, but at the end of the day, it's our job to protect the people. Whatever we want, will have to come second." She continues.

I expect to hear more, but as they fall into silence I realize I probably missed out on a lot of their conversation. Now I'm a little disappointed.

"The three of you having a heart to heart right now?" I ask to announce my presence. "I hope it's worth the loss of sleep." I smile jokingly.

"Get out of here Neir, can't you tell we're having a girl talk right now?" Yang scowls playfully.

"Ooh, I get it, talking about crushes and stuff right? Maybe that's why I heard my name earlier." I joke.

"Were you eavesdropping on us?" Weiss asks annoyedly, not in the mood for my jokes as she usually is.

I take a moment to think of a response. "I don't want to start a fight so late at night, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say, yes, I was. But only near the end." I add.

Weiss glares at me, mustering her anger up for a venomous response, then all of it disappears in a sigh. "Alright, thanks for telling the truth."

Fight adverted, good.

"Then what do you think about our reasons?" Blake suddenly asks, seeming different from her usual calm and collected self.

She seems anxious and her eyes show it.