Chapter 2: Back Again

As I walked in through the oak wood front doors, everything came back to me. That same familiar smell of musky teenage boys. For a school that is as prestigious as this, you would think they could afford nice scented candles. Nevertheless, I proceeded forward into the barren hallways. School hasn't started yet and most of the students were still asleep at this time. I remember when I first came to Helton. Anxiety ridden to the extreme, I would wake up extra ready to get ready for class. The big kids used to scare me and I didn't want to get in their way. You then discover the power of being older at this school. Being able to push the lower grade kids around and get your way is a blessing. Although, I did partake in it sometime, I don't usually do it as to not terrorize the students at this school much.

Slowly making my way to my dorm, my mind became clouded. All I could do was look down and observe my steps.

Right Foot.
Left Foot.
Right Foot.
Left Foot.

I stop at the door, head inches away from it. As I breathe, I could feel the air bounce off the door and hit my face. What is Todd doing right now? Is he asleep? Is he studying for a test that really was worrying him? Does he hate me? All these questions saturated my train of thought. I decided to open the door slowly, just in case Todd is still sleeping. My heart began to race faster with every passing second. Then I see him. On his bed, writing something in his journal. His dirty blond hair is a mess and he is still wearing those pajamas his mother gifted him at the beginning of the school year.

"Hey Anderson," I said with a grinning smile. Todd looked up as quickly as he stopped writing. His eyes were puffy and when he finally saw me he lit up. The blond quickly got up from his bed and stumbled on the floor a bit. I let out a little chuckle.

"NEIL!" Todd rejoiced as he approached me with open arms. He embraced me for what felt like a long time. I thought of nothing, only him. I hugged him back and started to mess with his hair.

"Woah there Anderson, didn't know you missed me that much" I jokingly said as I pulled back from the hug. If I hadn't pulled back, we could've stayed hugging like that for an eternity which wouldn't have been a bad thing.

"Neil I thought you were, I thought you were-"

"Dead?" I replied with a small chuckle, "Now why would the great Neil Perry be dead?"

"W-Well there was, uhh, a r-rumor going around that you.... shot yourself." Todd was stumbling over his words, tears were running down his cherry red cheeks. At that moment, my chest sank to the ground, I made him cry. My actions hurt him, my failed attempt had consequences on the ones I loved and cared about. I really only thought about myself when I did it, my life was suffering and others were happy. So why did I affect them?

We stood there in silence together. The ambient air started to suffocate us. What should I say? Yeah I did try to shoot myself but I failed and now I have to live as my father's puppet? I walked over to Todd and started to wipe away his tears with my hands. Ice cold, that's what his face felt like. He looked up at me with his cute puppy dog eyes. It took everything in my power to not give him a small peck on his nose. I'm not ready for that yet, assimilating back into Welton is my number one priority.

"It's almost time to get ready for class Anderson, let's go brush your teeth." I remarked as I bent down a bit to his mouth and faked a sniff. I noticed the blond stiffen up a bit. "Damn Anderson, did you eat a dead mouse, let's go ASAP." Todd was still in shock that all I could do was let out a verbal laugh. He finally came to and a smile slowly crept across his face. As long as I can make him happy, everything will be alright. I put my arm around his shoulders and guided our way to the bathroom. Silence was all that took place but we did exchange glances and smiles whilst freshening up ourselves. My first day of classes back at Helton, how fun.

***
Author's Note

These first 2 chapters are short sorry, the next ones will be longer I promise.