Chapter 12: Consequences

TW// ABUSE, VIOLENCE, HOMOPHOBIC SLURS

"JESUS CHRIST NEIL!"

These words with thunderous magnitude, blaring into my ears as if a siren had screeched its hum. In a state of delirium from being woken up by a sudden loud sound, I had no time to react or even process what was going on. My arm was aggressively grabbed, pulling me away from the cuddle Todd and I had slept in from the previous night.

~

The events of me and Todd being caught in the act of kissing by students had happened the previous day. After a long day of calming down Todd, trying to relieve his worries, we became exhausted. The poets helped me to satiate Todd's anxiety, who was sitting on the floor of our dorm, scrunched up by his desk.

"Todd, you're overreacting, nothing bad is going to happen." Pleaded Nuwanda, rubbing Todd's back like a newborn. Todd wasn't havent it and swatted away his arm.

"If it makes you feel better, me and Chris were caught in the girl's restroom at her school, just like you, and we didn't get in trouble." Added Knox, trying his best to relate to the situation, when in fact, there is no correlation.

"It's not the same and you know it's Knox. WE'RE BOYS!" Todd yelped out, scaring me and the other poets at his sudden aggression. It seemed like there was no way of calming him down. That was until I figured out something. I whispered something in Meeks' ear, telling him to pass it on. The message was delivered to the other poets by noisy whispering causing Todd to catch on.

Wiping away a tear, Todd annoyedly asked, "What the fuck are yall whispering about?"

"Go in now!" I declared. I then collapsed on Todd, followed by the other poets, giving him the same treatment they did to me on my first day back. The giant man pile was filled with giggles and admiration. A stray hand grabbed at my ass but this isn't about me. After a while, Todd decided to give in and started laughing as well. Calming his nerves, knowing that we all are here for him.

He returned to normality by the end of the day so we thought nothing of the kid or our situation. We fell asleep together on his bed, this time me being the big spoon. We were happy and contemptuous throughout our slumber until the morning hit.

~

My body was thrown to the ground with a loud thud. A imprint of a hand mark singed into the skin of my arm almost like a branding. I had finally come to my senses, looking up, I saw Todd with immense fear in his eyes. I'll never forget the look in his eye. Complete horror, the witnessing of a massacre of a large crowd of innocent people, that's what his eye conveyed, but, it was more than that, it was worse.

"Todd, are you okay?" I asked him, not even knowing myself what is happening to me currently. The only ideas that flew in my mind was to ask what is scaring the shit out of Todd.

"You're a fucking disappointment, abhorrent f*ggot"

I decided to look to my left to see who it was that had mishandled me and hurdled obscenities. The person looming over me was the one person I'm never happy to see. The one who doesn't see me as a human. A marionette that he can control with ease. It's my father.

Before I could even open my mouth to respond to my father, a seismic impact had stuck me across my face. Not being able to react in time, my head had no resistance to the punch, causing my head to turn the opposite side. That hurt like a bitch. I noticed my nose was bleeding because I could taste blood on my lips when I had gasped for air.

Still recovering from the first punch, I could hear Todd weeping on his bed. I wanted to see if he was okay so I looked up at him. As I moved my head upward, another blow was thrown.