Chapter 9: First Meeting

"Welcome one, welcome all, to the reconvening of the Dead Poets Society, I, Nuwanda hereby officially commence the grand reopening of our meetings." Claps and roars filled the cave after Nuwanda gave his speech. Everyone is thrilled to be back in the cave, where men can be men. I decided to sit next to Todd this time.

"Pass me the book Charlie." I implored him.

"ITS NUWANDA," he howled, as if I had just personally offended him.

"Pass me the book Nuwanda." I begrudgingly pronounced his name with an exaggeration. He finally handed me the book and I got up to speak. I cleared my throat before doing the honors.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." I looked at Todd who had a sparkle in his eye as he was staring at me. I continued to finish the opening statement, "To put to rout all that was not life, and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." I closed the book with force so it could create a satisfying boom. A boom that could symbolize a bell, that conveys to everyone it its time for freedom.

"Alright, who here wants to go first." Nuwanda queried the cave goers, no one spoke up. "C'mon guys participate."

"I'll go first then, I guess," I volunteered, raising my hand. When I was resting in my room earlier today, I remembered that tonight was a Dead Poets meeting. I had written it in under 10 minutes because of how passionate I was about the topic. After the events from yesterday and today, putting pen to paper felt exhilarating. Constantly writing different poems until I made one that spoke to me. It spoke to me via the emotions I used to write words. I retrieved a neatly folded paper I had tucked in my pocket. Hope Todd doesn't mind that I wrote a poem about him, again.

"WOOOO NEIL," cheered Todd, followed by the rest of the poets.

Love, love, love, love,

All these words sound mundane,

When I compare them to you.

Your name holds more meaning,

Than those words ever could.

T for the time me and you spent,

Together we are one force,

Turning and creating our own world.

O for the opportunity I was given,

Of being the one for you.

Oasis of our very own.

D, double D for the delightful,

Delicate heart you possess,

Deeming itself a beautiful desire.

Only have to say it once because,

Your name holds more meaning,

Than love, love, love, love

The whole cave stayed silent after I finished the poem. The poet's jaws were wide open, laying on the ground. I then looked down to my left and noticed Todd was red all over. His fists were clenched up into balls and eyes filled with water.

"Ooh, so who was the poem about?" Meeks innocently asked, not being able to read the room, or cave for that matter. Knoxious struck him across the back of his head as to tell him that was the dumbest question ever. "Oww! What was that for?" Meeks continued.

"Todd, are you okay?" I asked him as I put my hand on his shoulder so I could get a better view of him. Todd then aggressively shrugged off my arm and stood up. We all just glared at Todd who made it apparent that he was not happy about the situation at hand.

"Todd?" I was able to say one last time before he stormed out of the cave. "Todd, w-wait," I yelled, running after him, leaving the boys in the cave puzzled. I continued to yell out his name, stomping my way through the snow that encapsulated the ground. It's freezing cold outside and I don't want Todd to get lost in the woods. Still being able to see Todd's figure, I tried to follow him. He couldn't hear me and maybe he didn't want to hear me. I almost tripped over a root that was hidden in the several layers of snow. Losing my focus on Todd for a split second. After I recovered from the minor accident, I looked up. I had lost him, then I remembered I brought a flashlight in my pocket. I reach in and pull it out, using the beam of light to identify Todd's whereabouts. He finally came to a stop. I made a final sprint towards him to make sure he won't get away any farther.

"Todd, what happened, are you okay?" I spoke a few feet away, facing his back. The ambient noise of the snowy forest was ear-splitting. He was unresponsive, standing there, observing the view of the forest. Little sniffles began to become audible to my ears. They are coming from Todd who has started to sob when he fell on his knees.

"Todd! Todd! Are you okay?" I wailed out, running to his side, crouching beside him.

"Why would you do that Neil? In front of them," Todd weeping, dry heaving air, "W-what i-if they tell Nolan and we get kicked out, what if they beat us, what if our friends never talk to us again."

"Todd, calm down please." I begged him, pulling him into my arms. "They wouldn't do such a thing, they care about us, they're our friends, I've known Charlie for a long time, he wouldn't do such a thing." Slowly petting Todd's back as I tried to use my body heat to keep Todd warm.

"You don't know that, no one fucking knows, no one should know about us, I'm, I'm afraid Neil." Todd revealed, increasing the intensity of his crying. He began to shake like a leaf.

"I'm here for you Todd, I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you, Todd look at me please." He begrudgingly moved his head towards me. I put my hands that were bare onto his face. Cupping each cheek in the palm of my hands. I could feel the heat coming from his red hot face. I took a deep look into Todd's blue eyes that were still damp.

"I love you Todd, infact, to hell with the word love, I love you more than the word love; you're my everything. My feelings for you are infinite because you're my affinity. I want to live the rest of my life with you, being happy together. I don't want to keep you in the shadows. I want to show you off. I want to show the people I trust, that I got myself the most amazing, spectacular boy in the world. If they don't accept us, then that's their problem. We still have each other and no one will change that, okay?" Finishing my speech with a question, hoping for an answer from Todd. Todd's tears stopped pouring.

We had a moment, where we just looked into each other's eyes. Complete silence, and yet, we could feel everything the other person was conveying. Expressing our admiration for each other with just gazes, almost like telepathy. We said more to each other with our corneas than our mouths or words ever could. The harshness of the glacial weather was nullified. Each other's body heat was all we needed. Todd crashed his lips against mine, putting all his emotions into the kiss, as if to say "I'm sorry for overreacting." The kiss quickly turned sloppy as Todd started to lean into me. I then felt something extremely warm slip into my mouth, performing a program of figure skating movements. I could feel the object doing axel's, lutz's, and the Salchow gracefully. I jolted back a bit, at a loss of words, stunned by what was just occuring.

I pull away, detaching my mouth from his. With a puzzled voice, I inquired, "Where did you learn to do that?"

Todd was taken aback by my sudden voice, interrupting his make out session. "I told you I had a girlfriend right?" Todd finally answered with a rhetoric question, squinting his eyes.

"Huh?" Shaking my head, not believing what he just revealed to me.

"Oh shut up would you, I'm dating you, come here." Using his index finger, bending it back and forth to tell me to come closer so we can resume the romance.

I shrugged, disregarding what had made me shudder earlier. I lean back in and fully embrace Todd. Caressing his face with every passing minute. His words in regards to my reaction resonated with me. He chose to date me, not the girl he was with before. I'm the one he's with currently, and he'll continue to choose me over anyone else. His past relationships shouldn't and won't affect me, because he is my boyfriend, and I am his boyfriend. I love him more than love.