Chapter 10: The Cave

After kissing in the snow for what felt like 20 minutes, Todd and I decided it was too cold to continue.

"Maybe we should go back to the cave," I suggested to Todd giving a reasoning, "The poets are probably very disorientated after what happened, we should explain."

"Y-Yeah I suppose so." Todd answered back stuttering, telling me he is still a bit on the fence about coming out.

"Just hold my hand and everything will be fine-" I reassured him before finishing what I was about to say after a few long seconds of consideration, "babe." After the word left my mouth, Todd's face began to beam.

"Oh, we're using relationship terms now?" Todd teased, giving me the most adorable puppy eyes and beautiful eye smile. Is his eye smile real or is he just faking it to make me want to give him a peck on the cheek? Nevertheless, I snuck my lips on his soft cheeks before he could process I was going to do so. Even when I look up into the night sky, the brightness of his cheek would shame those stars.

"Shall we go now my love, my oasis, my holy shrine?" Giving him as many compliments I could fit into one sentence, holding my hand out, awaiting his touch. Todd extended his arm out, hand facing the ground due to his limp wrist, like the princess he is to me, or prince. Taking a hold of his palm, we began to make our way back to the cave. Shining my flashlight on the ground, following the imprints our shoes made in the snow. I giggled a little, noticing that a certain someone's footprints were smaller than mine.

"What are you laughing at?" Todd inquired with a concerned voice.

"You have really pretty shoe prints." Pointing to his tracks, using my finger to illuminate my finger and the ground, still chuckling.

"It's not my fault I wasn't built like you." My Juliet shrugged with an annoyed voice.

"And that is why I love you." I remarked, releasing my hand from his clutch. Using my thumb and index finger to pinch his ear lobe.

"Oww!" Todd playfully yelled out and before we knew it, we were at the entrance of the cave. I peer into the opening and see the poets whispering amongst themselves. They didn't even notice we had arrived.

"Hey guys," seeing them physically recoil to our sudden presence, I gathered the courage to proceed, "Well, me and Todd have something to tell you all." I then held me and Todd's hand up in the air. Todd's face was bright red and the hand I was holding of his, began to get clammy. "We are officially coming out as boyfriends."

"Eww." Nuwanda vocalized, making a disgusted face.

My eyes widened as I could not believe the words that came out of his mouth. I turned my head towards Todd's and I could see that his eyes were swelling up. Feeling a slight tremble in his hand that was still high up in the air, let go, as my hand swung down. I pulled Todd in, hoping things wouldn't get worse.

"I'm just kidding bro!" Nuwanda, obviously flustered by Todd's reaction to his failed attempt at a joke, exclaimed, I assume, trying to save the friendship we have. "Neil, you should know by now that I'm bisexual, so I really don't care if you're gay or not, we all support you and Todd." Spreading his hands out, motioning them around him at the poets to emphasize that they all agree.

"YEAH!" Yelled the poets in unison as they all nodded their heads yes.

"Also, don't think I hadn't noticed that you're wearing Todd's sweater as well, you make it so obvious, you two lovebirds." Nuwanda added, trying to be as annoying as possible.

I swear I looked like a mad man at that moment. The biggest grin that I've ever displayed to people, happened at this very time, in the cave. I'm finally able to experience true happiness. I'm finally going to be accepted by people that I care about. People that also not only care about me but care about my love. Being in love with a man doesn't change their opinion on me, that's true freedom. These are the humans I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with. I'm glad that I encountered these people in my lifetime. Like Shakespeare once wrote, "Words are easy, like the wind; faithful friends are hard to find." These words shall resonate with me everytime I'm with the poets. We're not just the Dead Poets Society; we're a congregation. A congregation of individuals who seek out for each other, like good, loving, human beings should.